Friday 9 October 2020

We Built This City

What a thrill it was to see my quilt hanging in our guild's exhibition last weekend.  It really glowed in the dark exhibition space. And the rosette on it matched the colours in my quilt perfectly!





Some months ago I mentioned that I was going to repurpose my blocks from Jen Kingwell's Marshall Mystery Quilt - published in Quiltmania during 2019.  I didn't really like the layout in the magazine when the quilt was finally revealed.  I came to the conclusion that I would prefer to make two quilts with my blocks, rather than to try and use them all in one quilt.  



I pulled out all the courthouse steps and appliqued circles and laid them on a piece of pre printed hexagon fabric.  Yes - the hexagons are pre printed!!! It's a print by Michael Millar, and probably out of print now, but it did the trick for me in this quilt.  

I liked the simple design, and I knew I could make a bright quilt that would make someone smile.  


Once I'd finished piecing the quilt, I decided to hand quilt around the hexagons with variegated Aurifil 12wt. It was fun to see the hexagons popping up due to the hand quilting and the soft wool batting.  


I also hand quilted the Marshal blocks, and in the ditch down the long columns.  I like to use Aurifil 28wt when I quilt in the ditch. 



As part of the Joanne Johnson Colour Award I won a little trophy.  It's the first time I've ever won a trophy for a quilt, so that was exciting.  




Finished size: 62" x 64"

Thank you for all the kind comments so many of you have sent already on social media already.  It was a great weekend with so many beautiful quilts on display.  I'll talk about my Glitter in Green quilt in another post tomorrow.  



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been working on lately? Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

Marly said...

Congratulations on your award Wendy! I think it's a brilliant solution, and I'd never have guessed that you used printed hexagons. In fact I was thinking, before I read your text: how did you make those hexagons so quickly?!
I often have the same problem with mysteries; it's time I took another look at all those mystery blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nicely done! I normally like Jen Kingwell's patterns but although I saved the patterns for the quilt Marshall mystery I found I didn't like it in the least when it was revealed and never made it.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your quilt! Yes, the ribbon coordinates perfectly with the quilt but the trophy is very pretty. I've never seen a 'pretty' trophy before. You had a awesome weekend, thanks for sharing the highlights!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Oh Wendy! What a beautiful quilt! Congratulations on a beautiful labor of love! Very pleasing to the eye - love it. HUGS!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Your quilts are the best! You deserved to win a ribbon Wendy!!!!

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilt! No wonder it won a prize.

Turid said...

So fun to read about how you made this quilt. But I would never have guessed that the hexagons were printed. Must be the hand quilting that made the hexies "real". Anyway, a beautiful quilt from a talented lady.

Karen said...

Built This City is such a bright, fun and beautiful quilt, Wendy! I'm always amazed at how much work you put into your quilts and you seem to be able to make so many too! Congratulations on winning a ribbon and a trophy! By the way, your outfit you have on in the picture is really cute too...love your boots!

greeneggs said...

Congratulations on this wonderful and well deserved win. I love this quilt. Such an inspired way to deal with the blocks.

Cheryll said...

Congrats on the award...your use of colour IS stunning for sure.
Well done...xox

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Yay Wendy! Congratulations on your award. It's a beautiful quilt which would certainly put a smile of everyone's face as they walked by.

Genevieve Gerrard said...

Congrats on the ribbon! It's a beautiful quilt.

Heide said...

Congratulations, such a beautiful quilt and stunning use of fabrics.