Friday 7 August 2020

My entries for Capital Quilters' Exhibition

It's only two weeks until Capital Quilters' Exhibition opens at the Lower Hutt Events Centre.  We're in a bit of a quiet lull at the moment, because we've finished our quilt, and hand the frantic activity of hand in day, and now we're just making final arrangements with the venue.  

I've entered 4 quilts this year.  Here's a sneak peek at my entries.



First up is my Carnival quilt that I also entered into the Quilt NSW Sydney Quilt Show last year.  You can read more about it here.  

Second is my Glitter quilt.  Yes, it's finally finished.  I had entered my Glitter quilt into the 2020 Quilt NSW Sydney Quilt Show, but it's been cancelled now.  So my quilt will have its first public outing at Capital Quilters show in Wellington. I do a whole blog post about this quilt after the exhibition. 

Third is my entry in the Build it Up challenge.  We had to use log cabin or courthouse steps blocks in our quilts for this challenge.  I recycled the blocks from Jen Kingwell's Marshal Mystery quilt and put them into this quilt that I've called "We Built This City".  You can read more about my process here, but I'll do a full blog post after the exhibition.  

Fourth, and finally, is "You Spin Me Round", that was also destined to hang in Sydney this year but won't be now. You can read more about it here.   This is the one where I changed the binding after I'd hand sewn the first lot down.  I hope it was worth it and it looks good in the exhibition.  


I'm entering the exhibition because I love looking at other people's quilts.  The more people who enter the better!  Of course I'd love to win a ribbon, but I really don't mind if I don't.  I will feel honoured to have my quilts hanging alongside the winners.  

There's still a lot of work to do yet, but we are excited for the exhibition.  If you live in NZ we'd love to see you there.  



Oh! I bought two new books today.  I haven't even opened them yet, but I'll enjoy them over the weekend.  I got them from Minerva in Wellington.  



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week?  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.  

  

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh joy! What a lot of gorgeous quilts and color!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm looking forward to the quilt review in your next post! Enjoy the ability you have to be able to attend a quilt show in real life! Happy stitching!

For the love of geese said...

Funny, before I began reading I my thought was that your post looks like a carnival. All four are beautiful. Thank you for the linky party.

Linda Steele said...

How lucky to be able to have an exhibition, there's no chance of that where I live because of the restrictions. Good luck and enjoy

Andree G. Faubert said...

Good luck with the show!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your quilts entries are each so lovely, and I wish you all the best with your entries - more than one ribbon, no doubt. But most of all I'm happy for you to have a real quilt show to anticipate. All of ours are either going virtual, or postponed for a year. Virtual just isn't the same, so it's likely I won't be publicly sharing any quilts for more than a year. That gives me good lag time, to reduce the pace of quiltmaking, and enjoy slow handwork stitching. I'm trying to look at the positive side of stay-at-home, by catching up on all my UFOs and WIPs (nearly there!), and relishing having no reason to rush into making quilts. Ahh.