Friday 21 August 2020

Pandemic Sampler update (2nd post)

 It's been a few weeks since I showed you my Pandemic Sampler by Long Dog Samplers.  I've been working on it almost every night because it's very addictive.  My first post is here. 

I've finished 3 of the 20 pages now, so there's still a very long way to go, but I can see the beautiful designs emerging.  




I stitched pages 8, 7 and 6 with no problems, but then I travelled up to stitch page 1.  I felt it was quite risky stitching out in the open with not much to check against, so I put in a tacking thread to check.  Low and behold I was one stitch out and I had to unpick two nights work!! 

I wasn't happy, but I learnt a lesson and it won't happen again (I hope).  In a huge design like this it seems inevitable that everyone will make a mistake or two and have to unpick occasionally.  Next time I will keep closer to the existing stitches and not travel into unexplored territory.  

Dudley the Dachshund thread holder



The full view.  I started in the centre and worked to the left.



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below:



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Two nights work is a hard pill to swallow!

Have you ever thought about turning both the chart and the work upside down and working out from the "explored territory". The crosses are still orientated the same way, even though you are now working upside down. I use this technique all the time, although it does do my head in, looking at the chart with the now upside down symbols. Given your chart is just one colour, I think it should work nicely, especially if the symbol is a dot.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your cross stitching looks beautiful! Happy stitching!

Jenny said...

My goodness, your pandemic sampler is amazing! Such a lot of work, and surely something to be proud of when 2020 is done and dusted. What stories lie behind the stitchig and the world events this year.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Dudley your thread holder is too dang cute!

Cathy said...

What a gorgeous cross stitch piece. You must have excellent eye sight or do you have to use a magnifier? Hopefully you won't have to pick out any more stitches. I probably would have thrown it all in a box and never looked at it again. Hmmm, I think I may have a box like that!

Marly said...

Horror of horrors! Unpicking TWO EVENINGS stitches! I think I'd have buried it somewhere, or just forgotten about the missing row!
What's happened to inlinkz? I can't link up with my email.

Afton Warrick said...

Whoa, just whoa!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely incredible, Wendy!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my gosh; this is just stunning, Wendy! One of my sons bought a cross stitch kit from Michael’s once and he was doing good with it and having fun at first, but when he made a mistake that required unpicking a bunch of stitching, that enthusiasm cooled REALLY fast. :-(. That was probably 10 years ago and I still have that unfinished kit in my sewing room, in case my now 19 year old decides he wants to finish it...

Quiltpiecer said...

Wow, just amazing!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is really growing!! and amazing!!

dq said...

Wendy, I love your thread holder! I need something like that too!

Your work is amazing, and it is certainly progressing/growing!

audrey said...

You almost make me want to do some cross stitch again! This looks so good!:)