Friday 17 April 2020

You Spin Me Round

Yes, I have a finished quilt.  I'm very pleased to present "You Spin Me Round".



I'll smile each time I say the name because I love this song from 1985.  Click the button in the centre of the image and have a dance around your lounge!




Anyway, back to the quilt.  I made this quilt using the Cartwheel pattern designed by Liza Prior Lucy and published in Quilt Grandeur by Kaffe Fassett.

You can read my earlier blog posts about it here:
Nov 2018
March 2019
July 2019 - hand quilting commenced
Feb 2020

I hand quilted along the black lines with Aurifil 12wt in black

I hand quilted in the ditch with Aurifil 28wt


The wool batting and hand quilting means it's full of texture

So as you can see, it's taken me more than a year to make this quilt, but I've really enjoyed making it.  I like to take my time when I'm quilting.  I hate being rushed and working to a stressful deadline.  I usually have multiple quilts on the go at the same time, and that stops me getting bored with any of them.

In a first for me, I changed the binding after I'd completely finished the quilt. Yes, I've never done that before, but I'd used Kaffe's Millefiori fabric from my stash, and although it was OK, I thought I could do better.  So I took my quilt to my local quilt shop and tried many options before I settled on Good Vibrations - also from the Kaffe Fassett Collective.


I love the strong blue for the binding, and how it truly finishes the quilt.

I know some of you will be wondering about the rainbow ric rac.  I got it from Spotlight in New Zealand.


I've entered this quilt into the Sydney Quilt Show and all going well, it will be there in October 2020, even if I can't attend myself.


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week? Have you managed to finish anything?  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter







15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt turned out beautiful! I certainly hope the world will be out of this pandemic and you and your quilt can both attend the Sydney quilt show. Happy stitching!

Marie said...

What an absolutely fun quilt, from stem to stern, and thanks for the walk/dance down memory lane :).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a fun bright quilt really neat

Sumac said...

I've been watching your progress on this quilt. I must say that it is spectacular!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Susan said...

You certainly had fun with this one!

Rebecca Grace said...

Awesome finish, Wendy! I love how your piecing/applique plays off the background fabric design for a really integrated design that seems to leap off the quilt. And yes, the rainbow ricrac adds so much. Good luck with the show entry!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Amazing and bright quilt, I love it!

meweatherson said...

Another stunner Wendy! So festive. I love it!

audrey said...

Your quilting brings this to life. So beautiful!:)

moosecraft said...

Aaahhhh....the 80's! lol!
Love your quilt! An amazing fireworks display of color! :-)

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Wendy, congratulations on a wonderful finish. It really is spectacular. After all that hard work, I can understand why you might want to re-do the binding in another fabric to make the quilt as amazing as possible!

Susan said...

WOW! That is one stunning quilt Wendy! It has such brilliant colour and movement! Congratulations on a stunning finish!

Carol said...

Absolutely stunning, Wendy! You amaze me :)

Angela said...

I LOVE your quilt! So very cheerful!