Friday 7 July 2023

Millefiori Quilts 5

Can you believe that Willyne Hammerstein has produced enough Millefiori Quilts to fill 5 different books now?


Yes, volume 5 of Millefiori Quilts has just been released by QuiltMania and I'm lucky enough to have my own copy here in front of me.

You might think, "How many different designs can you make out of hexagons, triangles, diamonds and squares?", but that's where Willyne has been thinking outside of the box and has started using irregular, non symmetrical shapes in these new quilts in Millefiori Quilts 5.






I've already bookmarked some favourites and I'm tossing up between making my own templates out of template plastic, and waiting for Paper Pieces in USA to make acrylic templates and paper pieces.  I got in touch with Paper Pieces and they have said that they're only going to make templates and paper pieces for what they think will be the 5 most popular quilts.  So what if the ones I like aren't on their list anyway?  

My acrylic templates for my favourite quilts in Millefiori Quilts 4

I suspect that I'm going to have to go old school and make my own templates.  At least I hand piece now and don't English Paper Piece (EPP) because I sure don't fancy printing and cutting hundreds of papers for EPP.

In the old days we would make a template from the back of a WeetBix box, and trace around it for the papers.  Wen the template got raggedy we would trace around it and make a new template.  And that's how our templates and paper pieces kept getting bigger and bigger!

I love acrylic templates and lazer cut paper pieces.  They're just so accurate. 

If you want to see how many of the acrylic templates for Millefiori Quilts 4 shown above I have used, just take a look at this page on my blog - it's a dedicated page for Millifiori Quilts 4.  

  

My Bollywood quilt

Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.


 




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I can't wait to see what you do with the new possibilities, happy stitching!

J. S. Vila said...

Is reallly incredible to know how to do this beautiful artesanal work, constructing this wonderful clothes and quilts. All the designs, and all the resulta, that I can see in the photographs are perfects. All they are very nice. And a very good work.

Celine said...

Those quilts are amazing! I started one years ago, hardly progressed!