Friday 20 August 2021

Ballet with Kaffe = Fireworks

Everyone loves a good fireworks display, so I've decided to call my Ballet with Kaffe quilt, "Fireworks".

Fireworks by Wendy Welsh

I'm so pleased that this quilt is finished.  I love it, but it did take me a few years from start to finish. There were times when I thought I might never finish it. In the end I drew a line on my pattern and decided to stop piecing at that line.


I started this quilt in June 2017, and I finished it in February 2021.  That's almost four years!!!

The Cotton + Steel floral fabric on the left of the photo below was my inspiration fabric.  I didn't use it in the body of the quilt, but I based all of my fabric selections on it, because I love the way that those colours work together.  I used it in the borders of the quilt, and I managed to secure enough to use it on the back too. 


Sharon Burgess of Lilabelle Lane, Willyne Hammerstein and me - AQC in Melbourne 2018

Along the way I attended a class with Willyne Hammerstein at the Australian Quilt Convention (AQC) in Melbourne.  Willyne made hand piecing look so easy, but I'd already started English Paper Piecing (EPP) my Ballet quilt, and I didn't want to mix the methods, so I persevered with EPP. 

At the Great NZ Quilt Show in Rotorua May 2021

I finished the English Paper Piecing in January 2020, and then in April 2020 I added the fancy borders, inspired by the borders around Willyne's Moncarapacho quilt from Book 3, pictured below. 

Moncarapacho designed and made by Willyne Hammerstein

I do love hand quilting, and I wanted this quilt to be all my own work, so I hand quilted it with Aurifil 28wt in a range of different colours.  I enjoyed revisiting all the fabrics in my quilt as I hand quilted it.


 


You can read all of my previous posts about this quilt on the Ballet with Kaffe Fassett tab at the top of my blog, or by clicking here.  

I was going to say: IF you live in Wellington, and IF we're back at Level 1 by next Saturday 28 August, you can come and see it in person at Capital Quilters guild meeting.  But that's looking very unlikely now. I think we will have to reschedule my talk to Capital Quilters. 
Or maybe you could see it at Rose City Quilters on 25 October 2021. 

Finished size: 60"w x 66"h



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below. 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wonderful and sparkling Fireworks quilt!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous display of Fireworks! Congrats to you on your persistence and finish!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Wow Wendy you sure have this style of quilt done perfectly. The colors the design, everything is AMAZING!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Spectacular finish. Congratulations!

PaintedThread said...

Love that quilt! I didn't realize from the first photo - it's so big! That is a terrific finish.

Susan said...

Gorgeous Fireworks!

Tawa said...

Fantastic, might see you at Rose City. Looking forward to seeing you and all your wonderful quilts.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Wow! It's an absolutely stunning quilt. Well done on another beautiful finish.

Kiwiquilter said...

Please never stop making all your stunning quilts. Your use of colour always enthrals me, and this is another amazing example.

Lynette, from New Zealand said...

Kia ora. Wow, stunning! You're such an inspiration. I think your EPP technique allowed the high degree of precision required to pull this off. Thank you so much for sharing.

Barb N said...

This is an amazing quilt, from start to finish. Just awesome work!

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my Wendy! You manage to take on the most complex patterns (quilts, cross-stitch and the like) of anyone I know! I'm marveling at your dedication and perseverance to finish. I love your method for choosing fabrics, based on a single piece of fabric with all the colors your love. That's fantastic! I can't imagine how challenging it is to EPP so many angled pieces together. And to hand quilt too? Well, you're a real talent, that's for sure. I'm sorry that your show won't happen, nor your speaking engagement. Life is tenuous everywhere these days, isn't it? But I know you're handling lockdown with good therapy... sewing and stitching. Be safe!

Mystic Quilter said...

Absolutely stunning Fireworks!!

Chookyblue...... said...

your quilt is just gorgeous.........I love EPP......

Allison said...

Wow! Another amazing quilt Wendy. I really enjoy reading your posts and gaining an insight into the processes you use to make such beautiful quilts. It doesn't make me want to attempt making one - it would be sure to become a UFO - but I do enjoy following your progress through these projects.
Sorry lockdowns have affected your plans. Stay safe!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is gorgeous, Wendy! Fireworks is an apt name.