Friday 2 June 2023

Christchurch trip

Two weeks ago I went to Christchurch to teach Wool Felt Applique to Canterbury Patchwork and Quilting Guild.  

I took along a number of my samples so the ladies could see how wool felt can be used in quilting.


My version of Flower Garden - designed by Wendy Williams 



Flocks by Night - also designed by Wendy Williams




We had a lovely day exploring all the different ways that wool felt applique can add colour and whimsy to cushions, bags and quilts. Attendees learnt new stitches to embellish their work and went away filled with new ideas.  

We all enjoyed browsing through some of the guild's wide range of library books related to wool felt applique.  I discovered some Sue Spargo books that I hadn't seen before. 

This 12" x 12" quilt below that I made for our guild challenge some years ago is always a very useful resource when I teach these classes.  It contains a variety of stitches, but is small and easy to pass around the class. 


  

I always like to visit the Botanic Gardens when I go to Christchurch.  I walked and walked on both Friday and Sunday. It's Autumn here so the trees are all losing their leaves.  Here's some photos from the weekend:

The Arts Centre








Ilex Cafe in the Botanic Gardens - my favourite cafe in Christchurch




Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your wool felt projects are always so pretty, the colors are so vivid!

cityquilter grace said...

lovely fall photos and love that "flocks" by night...LOL...so colorful and cute

Michelle at https://mybijoulifeonline.com said...

These pieces are just amazing, Wendy!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wendy your wool felt pieces are stunning, so very colourful, I admire your patience with the beautiful hand stitching in these pieces. Also I must say a huge thank you for sharig your photos from Christchurch, we were lucky enough to live there for a time and I loved everything about it, this was between 1980 and 1985 so of course a lot has changed since that time. The Arts Centre brought back happy memories and the Autumn trees.