Friday 9 June 2023

Auckland for King's Birthday Weekend

I'm still getting used to saying "King's Birthday Weekend".  For all of my life it's been Queen's Birthday Weekend, but now we need to get used to calling it King's Birthday Weekend - and there may never be another Queen on the throne in my lifetime with William and George next in line.  


Anyway, I had a lovely King's Birthday Weekend because I went to Auckland with my family to see my mum and dad.  Mum is doing a lot of clearing out and I bought quite a few treasures home with me.  

My Nana had a Royal Doulton Petit Point tea set.  When Nana died the set was split up amongst her children, and my mum has now passed her pieces on to me.  It's nice to know that my cousins have pieces from this set too. 



This is just some of the fancy china that we worked through while I was there.  

We also looked at quilts (of course).  This is a quilt that my mum made after taking a class with Jinny Beyer in Auckland.  It's quite dark because it was designed to go on my brother's bed.  The fussy cutting and the hand quilting are both amazing!  It's too special to go to an Op Shop so it's gone back in the cupboard.






In my pile of stuff to go through was my Milly-Molly-Mandy book.  I loved this book.  The inscription says that I got it for my eighth birthday.  The whole Englishness of these books was so different to my life in New Zealand.  Milly-Molly-Mandy explored country lanes, she rode her bicycle to the corner shop, she enjoyed "tea" with her family.  I loved it all, and I might even re-read a few of the stories now that I have the book here with me.    




Milly-Molly-Mandy's best friend was called "Little-friend-Susan", and my favourite doll was called Susan too.  I must have had this doll well before I received the book though.

My mum knitted her clothes in my favourite colour purple.


Oh! and I went to Ribbon Rose's new store in Penrose.  Can you believe that I didn't buy anything!!! There's so much to look at, but time was limited, and I was helping mum choose threads for something new for her, so I walked out with nothing.  But never fear, I'll be back in September, if not before.  



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love those delicate china dishes! So pretty. Love the quilt too. You have such lovely memories shared today.

Nann said...

What treasures! The tea set pattern looks like an Anne Orr quilt pattern. The quilt is a beauty. And I have a vague recollection of reading a Milly Mandy Molly book -- rather like Flicka Ricka Dicka and Snip Snap Snurr.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

King Charles III was born on my 8th birthday Nov. 14th. I knew Queen Elizabeth's birthday was in April and celebrated in June but I never thought about Charles' birthday being celebrated in June too. It must be a monarchy tradition.

Susan said...

I used Jinny Beyer fabric just like that in a wall quilt all those years ago. I think my sister still has hers. I don't remember it being called fussy cutting in those days....how times have changed! But it is still a fabulous quilt- definitely too nice to be kept in a cupboard!

PaintedThread said...

That quilt your mom made is beautiful!