Friday 21 April 2023

Licorice Allsorts top is finished

Yes, my Licorice Allsorts top is finished.  I'm really pleased with it.  I took my time and really tried to make all the blocks perfect. As a result of that, the rows went together quite easily.  




I love how the black linen pops up throughout the quilt.  At first I thought that the black linen was going to be too dark against the light chambray Tilda fabrics, but when it's all together it works really well.  The bright green solids help with the colour balance too.  



I want to hand quilt this quilt myself, and I usually choose wool batting for hand quilting, but I was worried that the wool fibres would come up through the loosly woven black linen.  So I was prepared to use a different batting this time if I had to.  But fortunately my local quilt shop had a spare 2 metre piece of black wool batting!! So now they are basting it for me on their long arm quilting machine (you can read more about that process here). 

I need to hurry up and finish 10 other things on my quilting table so I'll be free to start hand quilting this beauty when it comes back all nicely basted.  

Reminder: this pattern is designed by Wendy Williams from Australia, and I purchased it as a block of the month through Material Obsession in Sydney, Australia. 


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.  


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the mix of embroidery with quilt blocks! Lovely quilt top!

PaintedThread said...

I find this such an unusual combination of color, but I really like it! This is going to look amazing when it's quilted.

Turid said...

Beautiful and fun quilt.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Such a beautiful, perfectly pieced and embroidered quilt!!! I've enjoyed seeing it come together. Great idea to use black batting! In wool?? I haven't found black wool batting around here but I'd love to. Our black batting is 80/20, but feels rather rough sponge-ish.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautifully mixed colours and the design by Wendy Williams is a winner.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a very pretty top!!
Hand quilting will be awesome!