Friday 1 July 2022

Taupo Quiltmakers' Exhibition

I'm just back from a wonderful long weekend in Taupo. The Taupo Quiltmakers Guild invited me to be the guest exhibitor at their "Quilting with the Stars" exhibition over Matariki weekend.  


I drove to Taupo on Thursday with my husband, and 10 large quilts on the back seats of my car.  It's winter here in the Southern Hemisphere, so there was plenty of snow on Mt Ruapehu in the middle of the North Island.  

(Mt Ruapehu is an active volcano, but it's fairly stable and the last eruption was 15 years ago.  The North Island's main ski fields are on Mt Ruapehu.)

When we got to the Great Lake Centre in Taupo my husband helped me to hang the quilts and I took a quick video of my quilts which I've put on YouTube here:


I met so many quilters over the weekend - thank you to everyone who came up and said hello.  It was great to meet so many members of KiwiQuilters - a very popular Facebook group for New Zealand quilters.  The ladies from the Taupo Quiltmakers Guild were very welcoming and friendly too!

I decided to offer some of my quilts for sale and "Turkish Coffee" sold on the first day.  It's now off to a new home in Tauranga.


I did enjoy making this quilt, but there is a limit to how many quilts I can keep in my house.  You can read more about Turkish Coffee here.

I still have some more quilts that I'm willing to part with, so I'll write about them in future posts.  


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week? Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.  



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

The photo of is Mt Ruapehu is beautiful. So glad you had a great time there. Congratulations on the sale! I am not surprised though. You quilts so wonderful.

-Soma

Gretchen Weaver said...

What a lovely time you had. I can understand why your quilt sold the first day, you make beautiful quilts! Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such beautiful quilts! it was an honor to be asked to be there I'm sure - I love that snow covered mountain!

Michelle said...

Congrats on the sale! Such a beautiful quilt. I’m not surprised someone took it home.

Marie said...

Loved the video of your quilts - a spectacular collection that I'm certain all of the attendees were thrilled to be able to see. And nice to be able to move one along to a new home, too. I'm in the same boat, more quilts that I could possibly need, but I still keep making more!

Jenny said...

So pleased you had a wonderful time at the show, such a thrill, I'm sure, to be guest exhibitor. I always love to take photos of the mountains when we travel up that way, that's a great photo you took.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful view of my favourite mountain to begin your post and thank you for linking the video here, a pleasure to see your beautiful quilts!

Allison said...

What an amazing location. Thank you for the video tour of your quilt exhibits. The black background boards bring out all the colours and designs beautifully.

Barb N said...

My goodness your quilts look especially astounding when on display! Congrats on the honor.

FlourishingPalms said...

What a gorgeous mountain view! I could stand an look at that for very long minutes. Just glorious! So glad you could sell a quilt at the show. Speaking from personal experience, I know what a challenge it is to store/keep many quilts in one's home! Selling is the best option... if you can bear to part with them. I'm particular about which ones I'll offer for sale, as well as how much $$$ I expect. I sincerely hope you haven't undervalued your quilts, as I know your workmanship is superior. Glad you were featured in the show, and could attend and enjoy yourself. But yay for being back at home again too, right?

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

WOW!! What impressive work you've share. Despite being away frequently, you certainly have been busy and productive. I just love all your work. I have several projects started but rarely finish anything. Ugh...this working full time is killing my hobby time!! LOL. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring.