Friday 15 July 2022

Spooky Darlings

Well, last weekend didn't go according to plan and I didn't make it to Christchurch after all.  I was caught up in Air New Zealand's worst weekend of 2022.  It was the start of the school holidays, the All Blacks were playing Ireland in Dunedin (so a lot of people were travelling), the weather was awful in parts of NZ, and the second wave of COVID-19 is affecting airline staffing levels. 

My Friday morning flight was cancelled, and then my Saturday afternoon flight was cancelled too!   The next available flight down was on Tuesday.  So, I had to stay at home.


However, I did finish my Spooky Darlings quilt top and I took it in for basting yesterday.   I intend to hand quilt it with a spider web design which will be a new challenge for me.  


I made these triangles as wide as I could with the fat eighth bundle I had purchased.  My original plan was to jumble them all up, but then my eyes kept searching for the partner triangles, so I just let them naturally return to their partners.  I've kept this design really simple because I want the hand quilting to shine.  

The fabric is Spooky Darling by Ruby Star Society.  I was never a huge Cotton + Steel fan, but I do like some of the Ruby Star Society fabrics.  They use interesting colour combinations.  



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below:



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

5 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sorry your flights were cancelled, that was very disappointing for you. Covid is still alive and going. My husband and I had covid a month ago. Fortunately we both had very mild cases which we credit to being vaccinated and boosted. At least you've got a new flimsy to show for your time at home, happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

from what I hear air travel is a nightmare everywhere with lost bags pilling up all over. I'm glad I rarely fly! Covid is picking up here again too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Spooky Darling is full of wonderful fabrics!!

Susan said...

Travel is such a game of chance at the moment ! I'm sorry you weren't able to get to Christchurch. But you certainly made up for it by piecing your Spooky Darlings top! I will watch with interest as you hand quilt it!

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm sorry to hear about your non-trip to Christchurch. This is happening everywhere, including here in the US. Staffing shortages, and everyone wanting to travel again. But airline prices are climbing and becoming so steep that some of us can't travel that way. I sure wish our inflation climb would end! Lovely to see the new quilt you're making, and know your plans to hand stitch spider webs. Though I sure wouldn't enjoy doing that (ick, spiders), I'm glad you will! :-)