Saturday 21 June 2014

My purple bag is finished

My purple bag is finished and I'm really delighted with it.

One side of the bag
It used it on Thursday when I had to carry a lot of books to a meeting. It's so big and deep I even fitted my jacket in there too.

The other side
I blogged about this bag six weeks ago (click here) when I was just starting out. I knew my mum was coming to stay, and she's made quite a lot of bags, so I decided to wait until she was here before I went any further.

Mum suggested a few ways to simplify the pattern. I'll list them here so you can see what we did:
- rather than sewing all of the pieces onto a backing fabric, I just sewed them together without any backing.


- I then joined my front and back pieces to the bottom piece to make on long piece
- I cut one long strip of needlepunch batting and quilted the exterior of the bag onto it


- I used batting in the handles rather than stiffening


- I put a simple patch pocket on the inside rather than a zip pocket


Apart from these variations, I followed Elizabeth Hartman's pattern called Perfect Quilted Totes.

My mum has made about 20 bags of all different shapes and sizes for friends and family. Even with her tips, it still took longer than I had expected. Maybe my second bag will be quicker? Who knows, but I don't plan to make another one for some time. I'm very happy with this one for now.




21 comments:

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

Love the bright fabrics! Great tips too. I wouldn't even know where to buy stiffening and all the interfacing stuff, so nice to know regular stuff we have as quilters works just as well.

I've made little baskets but no bags yet. They seem a little intimidating!

Dasha said...

Very pretty! And useful too. What more can a girl ask? I have made a couple of bags, some have better instructions than others. You'll find bag No. 2 easier.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

It look like the perfect size and I just adore the color choices you chose! Very Pretty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I made some bags a couple years ago but find I just do not use them much - I have several patterns put aside and need to decide what I am going to do with them. Your bag turned out great - love the colors.

margaret said...

quite right to be happy with is a great bag, I have problem with handles being too floppy so will try using batting like you did. A lady cannot have too many bags!

Vera said...

Looking good. I like quilted look on bags. Sounds pretty practical too.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

I need a big bag like this! Something I can carry a quilt around in when I'm hand sewing the binding. Love how happy and bright yours is :)

Katrina said...

Super cute!

Rosa said...

It looks fabulous and love your fábrica combo.Great job!

jeifner said...

Isn't it fun to have completed one? The first one I made I thought to myself after, this is a bag, a real bag, I can use it, it's awesome!

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Love it. I must have a go at make a bag. It is something I keep putting off.

Blossom quilts & Crafts said...

I love it! Well done. I might do one too now :-)

Gina said...

Gorgeous bag. I love the fabrics you've used xx

Anonymous said...

The colors are lovely. Turned out to be so pretty. Feels so good to have it completed, right??

ValerieH said...

The colors are so summery. Great bag.

Cassandra said...

This bag is gorgeous!! Love the colours and the shortcuts from Mum.... I really like the idea of batting in the handles, big bags can get so heavy and the handles can be quite hard on the shoulders or hands.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Visiting from Confessions of a Fabric Addict, great bag-love the purple and orange combination. Your mom's twenty bag count just blows me away--that's a lot of bags; she must be very good at their construction. Would you feature some of her work on your blog? I'd love to see what she's made.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Oh by the way, the middle quilt in your header pushes every pleasure button on my dashboard of good things to see. It's beautiful.

audrey said...

Wow, this bag is striking! The fabrics and colors are great!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Great colour combo and a fabulous bag, Wendy!!!

Lorna McMahon said...

The purple and orange have such beautiful contrast! Such a pretty bag! Great finish, Wendy!