Monday 16 June 2014

Your Place or Mine? - month 8

Do you remember this quilt that I'm working on? It's wool felt applique, all hand stitched onto the background.


I'm pleased to say that I've finally finished month 8 of the block of the month. You can't see it in the photo above because it's not sewn on yet,


Somehow this panel has taken me much longer than all of the others. I kept unpicking things that I wasn't happy with, so progress was slow.


This panel featured butterflies, rabbits, a horse, a cow, a pig and a cat of course.



The final 2 months (9 and 10) have now arrived, so I've got everything I need to finish this quilt top.



I've also got the backing ready too. I'm not a prolific quilt maker and each one of my quilts involves a lot of love and time. Therefore I like to put great backings on to my quilts to finish them off perfectly. Kaffe fabrics are far from cheap in New Zealand, so sometimes I buy online from USA if I'm ordering a lot for a backing. I wanted to use the same fabric for the backing as the BOM have used for the borders (Belle Epoch), and I couldn't see it online, so I went to a local shop that I knew stocked it. I needed 4.5 metres, and there was exactly 4.5 metres left on the bolt, so it was clearly meant to be mine. Thank you Sue from Busy Bee Quilt Shop in Wellington.

Centre panel finished
If you'd like to read about the previous months you can check out these posts:
month 7
month 6
month 5
month 4
month 3
central block

Good news everyone - If you love hand stitching and want to be challenged by a project that will consume many hours, Material Obsession are running this BOM again. Enrolments open very soon, but you can send them an email if you are interested. (click here)

I'll be linking up far and wide on this one because it feels like a major achievement to get this panel finished. Please check out these lovely linkup parties.
Sew Cute Tuesday
WIP Wednesday
Needle and Thread Thursday
Crazy mum quilts

Only two more months to go now!! I'll be sad when it's over, but I'll also have a lot more time to devote to other things.

31 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Oh how I love this quilt. If there would just be more hours in a day and maybe more days in a week I could join in. But I'm very busy with my projects as it is and I really don't need another UOF ;)!!! Can't wait to see the whole quilt together very soon.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

My goodness, there is so much work in this quilt and it's so bright and happy! I hope you have the perfect place in the house for it .. or .. would you just like my address? (cheeky!)

Cindy said...

Your quilt is beyond beautiful! So much hard work and beautiful stitching.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

It really is one of the most cheerful quilts I have ever seen. How can anyone look at it and frown?
You might need to start planning what to sew next when you finally finish this masterpiece!

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

Feel free to send this along with your centre, to me, via Sharon ;)

I love all the bright and cheery colours and all the cute little motifs! This is going to be amazing when all finished! (It already looks amazing!).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this is such a cute colorful project - I have never done wool stitching - a lot of detail work, looking forward to seeing it complete

Wendy said...

it is just wonderful! I love the addition of the bunnies on this panel!

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

I am in Auhhh!!!! Beautiful

Staci said...

Wow! What a charming quilt! And such beautiful stitches.......just perfect!

Lorraine said...

It looks just great Wendy! Can hardly wait to see the finish - am most curious about the backing fabric too!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

So, so intricate and detailed, Wendy. Your hand stitching is beautiful. If you'd like somewhere else to showcase your quilt, there's an ongoing Quilting & Patchwork link party at Threading My Way...
http://www.threadingmyway.com/2012/04/threading-your-way-quilting-and.html

margaret said...

so much to see and enjoy on this pisce, it really is lovely

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Wow, that's impressive! The stitching and the patience you put into this piece are both impressive. I guess that you're happy to be nearing the end. I would! That's a quilt I would hang on a wall, where people can enjoy looking at all the details.

Iris said...

I am blown away by your quilt (top). I agree with France Nadeau this would make a stunning wall hanging. Thanks for sharing

Cissa K said...

Wonderful top! Great stitches.

Unknown said...

Wow, this would need to be my only project, so beautiful

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Beautiful work Wendy - love this pattern and your stitching is awesome! I just started making my own Wool Applique patterns and they are so much fun. Thanks for sharing this... I'll hop over to MO and check out their patterns. Karen

Katharine Yates said...

This is so bright in colorful, thanks for the photos--I love the level of detail in this. Can't wait to see the finish!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

This is fantastic! All of the details make it so interesting to look at!

Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Lynda said...

This is amazing! So bright and cheerful.

Quilting Stories said...

What a great work, very joyful, congratulations!

The Inside Stori said...

What a wonderful way to incorporate wool into a quilt......and such a happy one too!!

Corina said...

Wow, it's great! Love the colours, the design, the techniques... great job!

Linda H said...

WOW! This. Is. Awesome!!!! Can't wait to see the rest...

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Wendy, I've featured your quilt top today...
http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/06/threading-your-way-features_22.html

Wilma said...

Your work is beautifull! I love it, it is so cheerfull and happy. A person just gets in a good mood instantly looking at this quilt of yours. Thanks for sharing.

Ousue said...

Is this pattern in your most recent book...just saw it at my local quilt shop. So exquisite...if there ever was a quilt I would be willing to sacrifice my "profilicness" for quality, this would be it!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Ahh, small misunderstanding. I'm Wendy Welsh and I'm just making the quilt as a Block of the Month from Material Obsession in Sydney. The quilt was designed by Wendy Williams (different person). Yes, she has written a book recently, but this quilt isn't in it. The quilt is available as a block of the month from Material Obsession in Sydney. However, I'd recommend starting with one of her smaller projects from the book. This quilt is a major undertaking. I've worked on it pretty much every day for nearly a year now and it's still not finished! Although saying that, it's been a very enjoyable project.

Gina said...

It's gorgeous. Definitely worth all the time taken to sew it all xx

Betsy said...

Wendy do you know if material obsession sells the pattern as one package and not a BOM? You did an amazing job!

Linda H said...

Wendy, this quilt is so stunning! Well worth all the time and love you are putting into it... It will be such a treasure!