Monday 9 June 2014

Fancy a notebook?

Last week one of my local quilt shops, Stitchbird in Kilbirnie, had a sale because they were 2 years old. I bought some of these lovely Fox Field fabrics by Tula Pink fabrics and the butterflies by Heather Bailey.


The zigzag one in particular had been called to me for some time, so I just had to have a little bit of it.

Yesterday I picked up some plain note books from Typo (gift/stationery shop) because I needed a note book to send away with my Possum Magic round robin block. The decorative tape I got from Typo went perfectly with the zigzag fabric, so I decorated the note book last night.

my Possum Magic notebook - the one on the left.

Now comes the hard part - I want to put Contact / Duraseal on the notebooks to prevent the tape rubbing off with wear and tear. Applying Contact to school exercise books is an annual chore in this part of the world. Many schools insist that the books are covered to make them last longer. Somehow it's always the mums that end up doing it, and often it's late at night because the books have to be ready by the morning. Wish me luck as I struggle with the Contact this morning.

I'm linking up with Mollie Sparkles Sunday Stash, hosted by Quilts from the Attic this week.

8 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Good luck wrestling the contact with the notebook. The Tula zigzag print is awesome!

Joanna @ Riddle and {Whimsy} said...

My favourite part of school was choosing the best contact and covering my books lol! Though sometimes I'd repurpose wrapping paper from Christmas/my Birthday if it was extra nice. I never noticed my books last longer though; the covers always came apart at the staples :/ maybe they have heavier duty staples these days...

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Ha! I remember those contact days ... my mum would always have a needle on hand to pop the air out of any bubbles that weren't smoothed out properly. I think I learnt my first swear words in those days - lol :)

Dasha said...

Don't know if you have seen it Wendy, but you can get this iron on sticky stuff which makes any fabric waterproof. I saw it once in a quilt shop in Coffs Harbour, and have not found it since. Can't even remember the name of it! I suspect though, you would have to iron it on before stitching, which is too late for you anyway.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

Contact, that brings back memories and yes it was always last minute, late at night! Good luck I hope it behaves for you. Love your combination of fabric and tape.

jeifner said...

They sure do look cute!

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

They are Great! I hope the contact issue has been solved?

Granny Maud's Girl said...

It is too pretty! I won't be keen to muck it up with my Possum Magic scratchings. I guess I have a few months to practise writing neatly.