|One side of the bag|
|The other side|
Mum suggested a few ways to simplify the pattern. I'll list them here so you can see what we did:
- rather than sewing all of the pieces onto a backing fabric, I just sewed them together without any backing.
- I then joined my front and back pieces to the bottom piece to make on long piece
- I cut one long strip of needlepunch batting and quilted the exterior of the bag onto it
- I used batting in the handles rather than stiffening
- I put a simple patch pocket on the inside rather than a zip pocket
Apart from these variations, I followed Elizabeth Hartman's pattern called Perfect Quilted Totes.
My mum has made about 20 bags of all different shapes and sizes for friends and family. Even with her tips, it still took longer than I had expected. Maybe my second bag will be quicker? Who knows, but I don't plan to make another one for some time. I'm very happy with this one for now.