Friday 27 May 2022

Quilts for Ukraine

Look at what we've done! Eleven quilt tops and 140 loose blocks are heading to Germany today. 
Thank you New Zealand and Australian quilters. (Full sized photos at the end of this post.)



Two months ago I decided to make a few blue and yellow blocks for Ukrainian refugee quilts. I never imagined it would grow to this.  We've made 360 blocks in total.  I received blocks from:

Tauranga Patchwork and Quilters 

Capital Quilters

Howick Quilting Friends (both groups)

Glenys in Auckland (the kiwi blocks)

Marina in Feilding

Jeanette in Australia

Vivienne in Napier

Mary in Ashburton

Sue in Auckland

plus kind people in Dunedin and Lincoln.  

As I received more and more blocks, and saw how many Claudia was receiving every day in Germany, I decided to make up some quilt tops to ease the load on Claudia.  As the blocks rolled in I made more and more quilt tops.  I started to run out of fabrics for the sashing and borders, so Jenny Hunter from Plume Art + Stitch very kindly donated some blue and yellow fabrics and that allowed me to finish 11 quilt tops for Ukrainian refugee children. 

Four different people have kindly contributed to the cost of postage.  So it's been a real team effort. Thank you everyone.  Claudia is a very busy lady sorting all the blocks, quilt tops and donation events, but if I see photos of our finished quilts being donated to children I will be sure to share them with you.  

Here are some close up photos of each of the quilts.  If you donated blocks I hope you can see some of your blocks in these quilts.  There are another 140 loose blocks that I'm sending over too.  Every block is going to Germany. 

Thank you everyone.



Number 1


Number 2



Number 3




Number 4



Number 5



Number 6


Number 7


Number 8



Number 9


Number 10


Number 11




Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below. 
















You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lovely quilts, the recipients will very much appreciate them. Thanks for your work in sewing the blocks into flimsys!

dutchcomfort said...

W.O.W.! Thanks to all you lovely quilters from NZ!! The quilts look amazing!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is so nice making all those quilts blocks and tops, I have been following the German blog on instagram and it looks like they are overwhelmed with making quilts and collecting blocks

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

The best quilt parade!!! So wonderful!

cherrypieaprons said...

What a tremendous job you are doing! I can't imagine how many hours of work went into those beautiful quilts. And the love that was packed into each one. Priceless!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What beautiful quilts. Kudos to all these talented quilters for their generous donations.

Marie said...

Oh my goodness, you and your team have been busy, busy, busy! What beautiful quilts. They will be greatly loved, I have no doubt.

Quiltpiecer said...

What an amazing effort! And the quilts are absolutely beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

Tremendous effort from everyone involved and congratulations to you for organising and stitching these beautiful quilts.

Frauke said...

Thanks for ll these wonderfull quilts and Blogs. The children will love their quilts. Exzse my english, I am of north germany . Best wishes of Frauke

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Wendy, those are lovely quilt tops for a great cause.

Celine said...

That's just amazing! Well done to you all