Friday 20 May 2022

Wool Felt Applique

A few weeks ago I was invited to teach wool felt applique at Stitch Witches in Dunedin.  My good friend Sue Lucas is one of the owners of Stitch Witches.

The inspiration table






I had a great time and met lots of lovely ladies. It's always interesting to see everyone else's ideas, and I was inspired by the woollen blankets and woollen suiting fabrics that some of them bought along to the class. 

I had a quick look in a local op shop, but they only had plain green blankets and I wanted pattern and texture (of course!).  I think woollen blankets are possibly more of a Dunedin thing, even though it definitely gets cold here in winter too.  


So I ordered a gorgeous bundle of Sue Spargo's woollen pieces from the Ribbon Rose.  I spent Mothers' Day play with my new woollen pieces and I started the bouquet of flowers above.   

I don't know what this is going to be yet, but that's the beauty of a small piece.  It could be the start of a bag, a cushion or even just a mini quilt.  I'll see what I think as it develops.  




I loved seeing all the autumn leaves in Dunedin, and exploring all the tempting items in Stitch Witches.  The classes were held in the classroom at the shop, so we could just run back and forwards if we needed a slightly different shade of thread or felt. 


They've said I'm welcome to come back next year, but I just need to think about what I can teach next time.  


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below:



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, your bouquets are starting out beautifully! I’ve never considered appliqué with wool felt. Now you’ve got me thinking….