Friday 14 February 2020

Cartwheel progress

I'm very nearly finished my Cartwheel quilt from Kaffe Fassett's Quilt Grandeur book, and I love it. I haven't put the binding on yet, but I wanted to get a photo after I finished the hand quilting.



The last stitches going in.

 I started this quilt on a rainy day in August 2018.  I remember it well, because I wasn't going to start anything new, but winter was getting me down, and the bright colours in this quilt looked so appealing. 



Foundation paper piecing the spokes in the cartwheels took a few months, but by November 2018 I was ready to start assembling the blocks. 

Rainbow ricrac is from Spotlight in New Zealand



By March 2019 I had the top together, but I didn't start hand quilting it until July 2019, and then I only did a few blocks before putting it away and moving on to other things.  I didn't like my original idea for the hand quilting, so I left it while I came up with a new plan. 



I quilted in the ditch on the spokes


I pulled this quilt out again a few weeks ago in mid January, and decided it was time to finish it now.  I stuck with it and now it's all quilted, and I just have to put the binding on. 

This quilt will be a lovely soft lap quilt for cold winter evenings because it's got wool batting - my favourite type of batting for hand quilting and warmth in winter. 



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week?  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below:



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter



12 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Gosh this quilt is an absolute joy. The bright colours and prints can't help but make the viewer smile. I'm sure you had a lot of fun working on this beauty.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I love wool too! My husband always picks the lap quilts with wool batting and he has no clue! Love love your new finish! You used the fabric to it's fullest potential

Cathy said...

Some quilts just take a little more time and are well worth that time. What a beauty!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your quilt is beautiful. she makes me smile!

Cathy Melancon said...

Another colorful quilt for you! What a beautiful quilt!! The colors are so bright and with the background fabric, there is so much movement in it! I could look at this for hours! Well done!!! You are such an inspiration!!!!

Sue said...

A lovely happy quilt Wendy. How big is it, and how did you stitch the ric rac down? It's really hard to see any stitching. Not just glued is it? Love the ric rac.

FlourishingPalms said...

You're right about it being bright and cheerful, especially during gloomy winter months. Your workmanship is always exquisite, Wendy! I admire you for sticking with this project, and for the rapidity with which you seem to quilt. I'm sure you spent hours and hours on it, but from my perspective, you just "whipped this up." I find that quilting often takes longer than piecing a quilt top.

Karen's Korner said...

Stunning!!!!

KerryW said...

I love this very cheerful quilt Wendy. I would love to see the your choice of fabric for the backing as well.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your quilt is a beauty!

audrey said...

Gorgeous texture.:)

Jenny M said...

such a happy quilt to get you thru the next Winter.