Friday 6 March 2020

Quilt backings (NOT the boring type)

It seems like I'm never at home at the moment.  I was in Dunedin on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, and by the time you read this, I will be in New Plymouth for a few days. 
While I was in Dunedin I caught up with my good friend Sue Lucas.  Sue took me home to her house and I got to see some of her amazing embroidery (plus quite a few unfinished quilts). I've got quite a few photos to share, but I'll save them for a future blog post.   

The view from Sue's house. 

Just one of the many embroidery WIPs at Sue's house

In between travelling I've managed to make a few quilt backs and progress three quilts to the next stage.

The fabric is by Tokyo Milk for Free Spirit Fabrics

First up is the backing for my Neptune and the Mermaid quilt shown here:


This quilt is off being basted at Busy Bee Quilt Shop at the moment.  I intend to hand quilt it myself, but I like to get it basted on a long arm machine so I can be sure that the top is centred on the backing.

Next up is the backing for my Ballet with Kaffe quilt by Willyne Hammerstein.  I was quite nervous about cutting this precious Cotton + Steel fabric.


I want to use some of the backing fabric on the borders too, so I had to be very careful with the cutting.  Here's a reminder of what my Ballet with Kaffe quilt looks like.



Then the third backing is for my Kaffe Fassett Green Diamonds quilt.



I'm making a pieced backing for this quilt because I bought a lot of red Kaffe Fassett fabrics for the Green Diamonds class, and I didn't use them all.  The class was two years ago, but I couldn't get enthused about finishing my top, so I've re purposed the diamonds into something else and I'll reveal that soon. Here's what I was aiming for:


And here's how much I sewed together:




Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week? Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.  




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

9 comments:

audrey said...

It really is nervewracking to cut into a piece of fabric when we want to be super efficient about it. All your backings are made of gorgeous fabrics. So often mine are made of older, less-loved fabrics.:)

Marti said...

Sue has a great view! It's always fun to look at other people's projects. You've got some great ones going too. I love, love, love your Neptune and Mermaid. What is the name of the block in the middle of the top row?

Cathy said...

Glorious bursts of color front and back! And good for you for expertly piecing that swimmer in the backing fabric.

For the love of geese said...

Great quilts and a nice display of color on this cold morning.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Nice match on the diver! I love pieced backings but they can be a lot of work, but worth it! Love yours

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you're getting to do some traveling. I can't tell for sure by the gorgeous pictures at Sue's house, but I'm guessing the weather has been perfect. It's also great that you're making backings because it means you're making progress. I'm happy for you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am so drawn to all the colors in this post - the fabrics and quilts are gorgeous - but the color!!! I am so ready for spring - and your bright post just made my heart happy!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful view from the house, and sunny weather! I love your backing with the swimming guy ;)

Julie said...

I share your angst when cutting into precious fabric--how I love the Tokyo diver, but each one of these is going to add real delight to the finished quilt. I remember when people around here, rural Ohio, only used muslin for backing, and how a pieced backing was unheard of. I'm laughing because it has been within the last 10 years or less. How far we've come! thanks for sharing your backsides with us all! ;-)