Friday 22 November 2019

Neptune and the Mermaid (and the Peacock Party)

Last month I showed you the blocks that I started in my hand piecing class at Symposium.  Well,  here they all are, finished.  I used some really fun fabrics called Neptune and the Mermaid, designed by Tokyo Milk for Free Spirit Fabrics.  I've added in some Tula Pink fabrics because they work so well with the Tokyo Milk fabrics.











That's nine big 18" blocks finished.  I can hardly believe that I hand pieced a quilt this quickly! I've really enjoyed making these blocks. I'm quickly becoming a real hand piecing convert and actually prefer it to machine piecing now.  When I started out I wanted to get good enough so I could move away from English Paper Piecing.  I think I've achieved that goal now.


When I enrolled in the class at Symposium I really didn't expect to make the whole quilt.   However, I really enjoyed playing with these fabrics and hand piecing these blocks, so I just kept going.





I've played around with the layout endlessly.  The blocks have lain on the lounge floor for more than a week, and each time I walked past I moved them around a bit.  It takes time to get the colour balance just right, and working with only nine blocks makes it harder than when there's 99 blocks.  I didn't want to sew them together until I was 100% happy.


I am going to add borders, but I'm still deciding what to do in the corners.  Should I mitre the corners? Or is that old fashioned? Should I add cornerstones? I'm not sure yet.

The patterns for these traditional blocks were designed by Wendy Whellum for her Pieces of the Past quilt.  Wendy is gradually adding them to her etsy store here https://www.etsy.com/shop/LegendandLace

Here's Wendy Whellum's quilt below. This photo I saw in the Symposium catalogue.  It just shows how different things can be when you put your own spin on them.





Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to lately?  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter






17 comments:

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Fun and festive blocks! However way you decide to put them together, it is going to be a lovely quilt.

-Soma

Chris said...

Those blocks are stunning. You must have had so much fun playing with those fabrics.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow!! Your blocks are beautiful!!! The original quilt looks old fashioned and yours looks very modern. Interesting!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those blocks and all put one quilt looks really nice - your fussy cutting is really great

For the love of geese said...

Your blocks look great and congrats on the hand stitching. Thank you for the linky party.

Alison V. said...

These blocks are so gorgeous and impressive! The block with the flamingo print is my favorite.

maggie fellow said...

those blocks are phenomenal and better than the teachers :)

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Your blocks are nothing short of gorgeous.

O'Quilts said...

WOW...amazing work..xo

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

What a fabulous set of blocks. Each one is so unique it's hard to pick a favorite. I also really like the way you did the sashing. Adding the pieced section in the middle really adds depth. Great idea.

Susan said...

Wow! Those blocks are beautiful! I congratulate you on your piecing skills, and for the fantastic fussy cutting!

Karen's Korner said...

Stunning blocks.

Susan said...

All hand pieced! I am blown away by this quilt top Wendy! I'd add some circular 6" blocks to each corner, maybe from the Chuck Nohara book? Maybe next year I'll return to hand piecing...I certainly have ideas to work from!

Farm Quilter said...

I have to say, I like your version of the quilt ever so much better!!! All hand pieced...zowie!!!!! It is fantabulous!!!

JanineMarie said...

So much to see in the stunning details of this quilt! I’m looking forward to seeing how you border it. I wonder if whether or not to miter the corners will depend on the fabric design. I’ve never been interested in EPP, but I’m considering a hand pieced project. Such a relaxing (and social) way of sewing.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Your header is so beautiful, Wendy; as are all these vibrant colourful blocks.

Marly said...

I admire your patience in making those EPP blocks, but wow ... what a difference the fabric makes! Your modern fabrics make this uniquely up-to-date in style.