Friday 20 March 2020

Another quilt backing

This week I've been working on another quilt backing - although now I look at it, it could equally be another quilt top!


These blocks are cut 10.5" x 6.5", and I'll use 6.5" x 6.5" pieces to complete the rows.

My aim is to use up my least favourite pieces of fabric, and free up space in my storage containers for yummy new fabrics when the time is right.

It all looks a bit yellow and red above, but I still need four more rows and I intend to use a lot of green and blue in those rows.  I'll intersperse the new rows amongst the rows shown above.



Here's how my kitchen bench has looked this week as I've worked on this backing.



Our main library in Wellington has been closed for a year now due to earthquake risk.  However a brand new library has opened at Johnsonville, and they had some quite new craft books when I visited this week.


These will keep me busy.

(I know COVID-19 is affecting everyone, and it's reached New Zealand too, but I'm not going to talk about it on my blog if I can help it.  I want to keep this as a happy place where you can indulge in your hobby and get inspiration for whatever craft it is that you enjoy.)



So now it's time for the Peacock Party.  What have you been up to this week?  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter



10 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, pretty fabrics in here, and your backing is beautiful! You are right, beautiful as a quilt top!

QuiltGram said...

What a great idea and its so cheerful and bright.

Sewing Up A Storm said...

I love your backing............or two sided quilt. For some years I have been using fabric I do not love on the backs of my quilts and I just love how they are such a surprise when you look at the back.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your backing!!!! And yes, it could be a wonderful top in itself! Thank you for hosting the fun link up!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

A beautiful backing. If it was donated to our quilt group, we would use it as a top and quickly piece a backing of large pieces, add batting, and off to the quilter so we could donate it. Won't someone (maybe you) enjoy those bright colors when they are down. Thanks for sharing and keeping it positive. I can see you have quite a sense of humor with that knitting library book.

Sue said...

That's a great idea Wendy for those least liked fabrics, as we often get the odd ones in the precuts. Might have to use your idea myself. Home from Australia on Sunday and can't wait to self isolate in my sewing room for 2 weeks...at least. :-)

Jenny said...

That's a great idea to use up some of your "least liked" fabrics. Rather labour intensive, it you seem happy with that. It will certainly be a one of a kind quilt backing, nice and colourful.

Janice Holton said...

DEFINITELY could be another quilt top! Gorgeous colors! Whatever quilt you put this backing on will be reversible! Hurray for lots of books to read! I recently purchased some fabric history books from Amazon to try and and educate myself about dating fabrics. Don't know if it will ever sink in or not. There is a LOT to know! Thank for staying positive!

cityquilter grace said...

oh yes i would use that green pea fabric on the back too...and bless you for keeping the blog a quilty only blog...

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Wendy, looks like you're going to have a good time reading those books and making new things! Good luck with the quilt backs. They look great...they will make great reversible quilts.