Friday 15 November 2019

Marshal Mystery Quilt (and the Peacock Party)

It's a long time since I've talked about the Marshal Mystery Quilt, designed by Jen Kingwell.  The final layout has just been revealed at Houston (as shown below) and in Quiltmania magazine, so it's a good time to revisit my blocks and think about how I will proceed.


At this stage I think I'm going to come up with a different layout.  I can't say that I'm in love with the final layout, and I haven't come this far to join my blocks in a way that I don't love.   I very much doubt that Jen Kingwell has time to read blogs, but if you are reading Jen - I'm sorry! This one just doesn't grab me in the way that some of your other designs do. 

I like the giant X effect, but I don't like how it dissects the semicircle blocks.  I can't see how I can have both features in the same quilt, so something is going to have to give. 


I stalled on part 4 because by the time I had cut all the pieces out, something else exciting had come along - I can't even remember what that was now! I also struggled to hand piece that centre semicircle and wanted to ask for advice from my hand piecing tutor at Symposium.  Wendy Whellum said that she would just applique the semicircle on, so that's what I'm going to do for the next 7 blocks.


Also, shortly after I received the instruction for part 4, part 5 was released in Europe and I started seeing photos of how part 5 looked.  I didn't like how the fabrics in the external arcs in part 5 alternated, so I decided to wait and see the full quilt layout before I stitched parts 4 and 5.


Gosh I'm sounding picky, but this is the downside of doing a mystery quilt.  It's easy to get swept up in the initial stages and join in making blocks, but when you see the final quilt it might be quite different to what you were expecting. 

Sadly seeing the final result hasn't spurred me in to action - it's left me with a load of small blocks, yards of Jen's Lollies fabric, and no clear plan of what I'm going to do with it all.

A number of people in the Facebook group have said that they are going to devise a different layout too, so I'm interested to see what they come up with.


I'm not going to abandon this because I do like the centre block and I spent hours and hours making it and the blocks for parts 2 and 3.  I think I'll still made parts 4 and 5, and by the time I've done that maybe other people will have presented some different layouts.

Let me know if you've got any suggestions please.



Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post and let us know what you've been up to.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter






12 comments:

Frea said...

There are more people who don’t like the layout of Jen kingwell.
I’m just making the last half circle. Then I’m thinking about an other lay out. I hope to see suggestions of others.
But I have an idea.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is exactly why I don't participate in mystery quilts. Hope you can come up with a design you like! Happy Stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had been saving the patterns to start when I could but now I am glad that I didn't I saw the layout just the other day and didn't care for it in the least and I normally like her quilts! I hope you can come up with a layout you like

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I'm with you on the layout. The giant X is a nice component but splitting the circles doesn't do them justice. Wonder what it would look like if the circles were in front and kept whole with the X in the background? I look foroward to what you come up with.

Tami Von Zalez said...

What a busy design. Too much going on in that Kingwell, no place for the eye to rest.
I do love those individual blocks - how adorable! I could see those comprising an amazing quilt.

Kara Benavides said...

So glad I am not the only one who set this aside for a while. Still struggling along with part 4. Also not sure I wanted alternating orange peels in part 5 And since I only had a limited amount of suggested fabric, I am waiting to see what everyone else is doing. Right now, January is looking like the month for finishing this quilt. For the most part, I have enjoyed it.

Karen's Korner said...

I feel your disappointment. Sometimes having a break often gives us inspiration. Good luck with it.

Susan said...

I agree, the design looks disjointed somehow? I think the splitting of the circles spoils them too. In Jen’s design they become more ovals than circles, which is not as pleasing to the eye, probably because they are competing with the beautiful centre ‘circle’. Anyway good luck coming up with a design you are happy with!

KerryW said...

I like the components, especially your full circles, so I think you should complete all the block then put your design wall to good use and fiddle with the layout until you have something that is uniquely yours! Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Susan said...

I totally agree with you on the layout. The circles take on a weird shape, and I think you should do your own setting. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Eremophila2018 said...

I shouldn't have looked at the Jen Kingwell preview picture as I am only a little way in to making the blocks. It's nothing like I expected from one of her quilt designs. I don't like it much either. Looking forward to seeing other layouts too before I assemble it.

Katie said...

Set the circles north, south, east, and west, between the arms of the X. Then use those small circle in a square blocks in a border. I also like the look of the X, but the split circles bother me as well. Can't wait to see what you come up with. :-)