Tuesday 1 July 2014

Birthday Bag

Thank you for all the lovely comments about my purple bag.  Some people asked to see more, so today I'm showing my other bag, which my mum made for my birthday last year.



This bag is made from the scraps of my Bordered Peacocks quilt (which I haven't shown yet, because it's not finished yet). Don't worry, I haven't given away any fabric I should have kept - I only need to finish the decorative hand quilting on the Bordered Peacocks - it even has the binding on already.


I gave mum the scraps and the measurements of a bag I use a lot for meetings and work, and she came up with this! I was really thrilled with it. It even has a zip to hold all my stuff in when I have to put it 'under the seat in front' on a plane.
 




Even after making the bag there were still more scraps, so mum made a matching purse, mug rug and pin cushion for me.



The complete set:



So I received a lovely surprise on my birthday because mum had only had the fabrics about two weeks. I didn't think the bag would have been finished yet, let alone all the extras.








18 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love the blue and what a wonderful birthday gift!

Oops-Lah said...

That's not only a very lovely bag but very practical too. It's perfect for taking projects to quilt class/group with all the gorgeous extras. Now I know where your creativity comes from ;)!

margaret said...

can see Mum shared her talents with a needle with you, what a lovely set and the fabric used is so pretty

Gina said...

Gorgeous and I love the extras that go with it xx

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Perhaps I should let your mum know when my birthday is??? :)

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

What a wonderful mum and wonderful bag. Love all the accessories that are with the bag as well! Beautiful

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Those four pieces are gorgeous! You have quite a talented mother! I particularly like the purse. Very sophisticated.

Vicki said...

What a fantastic gift! So special that your mum made it all. Happy BIrthday!

Francesca Celeste said...

LOVE the colors, very vibrant!

Susan L. said...

Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy! Oh, how gorgeus set! That bag looks fantastic and so the other goodies, too! x Teje

Vera said...

What a great color combo and I love to see sets like yours. So pretty!

Marly said...

Congratulation to your Mum for making a wonderful bag. Sewing clearly runs in your family. The fabrics are beautiful and I look forward to seeing your Bordered Peacocks quilt when it's finished.

Lorna McMahon said...

Happy birthday! What a lovely gift set your mom made for you, Wendy! Enjoy!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Happy Birthday. Your Mom is sweet to make you so many lovely goodies. I came here from Lorna's Let's Bee Social link.

Crafty Ashley B said...

What a wonderful gift! Love all the things together!

Kronolund said...

Such a good Mum you have!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

'Peacock' is definitely your favourite colour palette, isn't it! Your mum did well!