Sunday 12 August 2018

Best in Show at Capital Quilters QUILTED Exhibiton

Hello to visitors from Finish it Up Friday hosted by Crazy Mom Quilts.  If you've been struggling to find your favourite blogs while Amanda Jean took a break, I recommend you try out Bloglovin. This is not sponsored in any way - I'm just telling you what works for me.

You can make an account, select all your favourite blogs, and then say how you'd like to be notified of new blog posts from those bloggers.  I get a daily email telling me if my favourite bloggers have blogged.  I see a little snippet of their post, and a photo, and click for more info if I'm interested.  It's a great way to follow blogs - especially now that Amanda Jean is only going to do Finish it Up Friday once a month.
Once you have a Bloglovin account you can just click the icon on people's blogs to add that blog to your list. I hope this helps some of you who may have been missing reading your favourite blogs.

Right - back to the real news:

I'm delighted to let you know that I won "Best in Show" at Capital Quilters' QUILTED exhibition for Vibrant Curiosities. It also won "Best Large Bed Quilt made by one person".

My quilt is all English Paper Pieced and hand quilted by me! It's great to know that a hand made quilt won the top prize.


I was so surprised to win Best in Show.  Our exhibition has 200 quilts, with a very wide variety of techniques and styles.

If you're on Facebook or Instagram (@capitalquilters) you can follow Capital Quilters and see the types of quilts our members make. Capital Quilters also has a blog - maintained by me.



The prize was $200 to spend on anything I like.

Some of you will recognise this quilt from our national Symposium in Christchurch last October:


 And from the QuiltNSW Sydney Quilt Show in June 2018 where it won Second Place in the "Pieced Quilt Large Amateur".


Our guild's show was its last outing.  It will now become a quilt to be used on our bed.  It's lovely and soft with the wool batting.

You can read more about how I made Vibrant Curiosities here.


17 comments:

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your win! It’s a beautiful quilt!

lvkwilt said...

I absolutely love your quilt...I love EPP and have finished two quilts so far...didn't have the patience when I was younger. You totally deserved that award and I'm so happy for you! Love your blog and your inspiration, too. Thank you for that!

Michele Hill said...

Congratulations Wendy...how exciting and well done x

Julie Fukuda said...

What a wonderful, colorful quilt ... and a lot of work. And how wonderful to see it so well celebrated. CONGRATULATIONS on such a well-deserved award.

Bambi Pearson said...

Congrats Wendy! It's a beautiful quilt.

martha said...

Can you give me some tips as to what your longarmer does to baste your quilt, or what you tell her?

meweatherson said...

Congratulations Wendy! What a wonderful achievement!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Congratulations. Well done

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Such a beautiful quilt. Congratulations on not one but two ribbons. They are well deserved. I went back to read the post about how you created this quilt and found it quite interesting. I used to do hand work a lot but now stick mostly to the sewing machine. So I admire your wonderful talent and the way you took a traditional pattern and designed a new quilt. You always inspire me.

Ann said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous quilt as well as the recognition of Best in Show. Such a beauty.

Linda said...

Such a wonderful quilt. So precise, such perfect piecing, stitching etc. Your awards are VERY much deserved. Congratulations!

Leeann said...

Congratulations Wendy, a well deserved win.
When I started quilting in the early 90's most quilts were hand quilted, now they are a rarity. Watching you do the big stitch quilting has inspired me to do some on the next quilt I make.

dq said...

I love it! I can see why it won!

sketchrs said...

Congratulations on your win, Wendy.
EPP and hand quilting is an absolute labor of love and I'm very happy you got rewarded for all your hard work. Well done - love your quilt.
Ronelle - South Africa

Von said...

Congratulations, Wendy!! It's a beautiful quilt!

audrey said...

Yay for you! Such a fantastic quilt.:) Love it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on receiving well-deserved accolades your fabulous work!!