Friday 27 September 2024

Quilt Symposium 2024

This time next week I'll be at Quilt Symposium 2024 in Cambridge, New Zealand (near Hamilton in the Waikato). Our Symposiums happen every two or three years and are big five day events for quilters.  It includes five days of classes, exhibitions, giant vendors mall, gala dinners, prizes, entertainment...everything!

My decision to go was a bit of a last minute one once my annual work conference was over and I actually felt that I could think about the rest of 2024.  The programme came out and I could see that there were still spaces in a class with an American tutor, Veruschka Zarate of Pride and Joy Quilting. She had designed a unique New Zealand piece and would be teaching it at the Symposium.  So I thought why not! 


I have a quilty friend who lives in Cambridge so I'm going to stay with her.   I won't be there for the full five days, just Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  

The start of Spring always reminds me of the previous Symposiums I've been to:

2017 in Christchurch.

I had a quilt in the exhibition there and attended classes with Jen Kingwell, Chris Jurd and Deborah Louie. 

Vibrant Curiosities in Christchurch 2017


The start of my Glitter in Green quilt 


Glitter in Green - designed by Jen Kingwell

2019 in Auckland. 

I attended classes with Margaret Sampson-George and Wendy Whellum. 

The class with Margaret Sampson-George was so much fun, but I haven't finished my piece from that class. 

Dodecagon class with Margaret Sampson-George


So much inspiration in Margaret Sampson-George's class



Hand piecing with Wendy Whellum


2022 in Lower Hutt

I entered the quilt that I had started with Wendy Whellum at the last symposium into the exhibition, taught some classes myself and attended a class with Lorena Uriate. 

Neptune and the Mermaid - designed by Wendy Whellum


Me teaching Millefiori Quilts


Kawandi taught by Lorena Uriate



So you can see that Symposium is pretty full on.  But it's going to be great and I'm looking forward to it. Will I see you there? 

1 comment:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Have a wonderful time! I expect a full report when you return, happy stitching!