Friday 6 September 2024

Baby Quilts x 3

A few weeks ago my niece had a baby girl.  So of course I just had to make a quilt for the new baby.  




I decided to cut into a special piece of fabric I'd bought two years ago at our Symposium in Lower Hutt.  It was 

Homeward by Monika Forsberg for Anna Maria Horner Conservatory by Freespirit Fabrics.




But I didn't really do the maths first and I ended up with left over squares.  So I decided to make a little dolly quilt for the baby's almost two year old big sister. 



But then I still had more feature blocks left over, so I made a whole new quilt for the big sister.  



So what started out as one quilt for a new baby, ended up as three quilts for both girls and a dolly.





They have received them now and are thrilled with them.  The dolly quilt has had a lot of use already.  

4 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm sure the big sister was thrilled to also receive a quilt and a dolly quilt. What a wonderful idea!

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

That feels like the right way to quilt, with a level of inspiration and freedom. I bet that the big sister will be pleased to get a quilt of her own as well.

audrey said...

Perfect! I loved reading this today. You are the quilting fairy.:)

Rebecca Grace said...

What a delightful trio of quilts, Wendy! When I do the math wrong I end up with a quilt that is too small for the bed, not two whole extra quilts -- I say you get an A++ with extra credit. Congratulations to your niece and your whole growing family. You know, it's hard for a little girl to go from being an only child to suddenly having all of the attention on a new baby. I think your extra blocks and extra quilts are a wonderful way to help her feel like she's part of the excitement and still seen and loved, even when the baby is front and center in everyone's attention.