Friday 5 January 2024

A Trip Around the World

Happy New Year everyone. 

No sooner had I dropped my mum and dad at the airport on 27 December than I started getting inspired on Instagram.  Often I will start a Christmas themed cross stitch between Christmas and New Year, but this year I started a Christmas quilt and I had the whole top pieced in just seven days.  



I was inspired by this photo on Instagram:


But I used the brighter colours from this Christmas gift bag:




The photo I liked was by Edyta Sitar so I used her Laundry Basket Quilts PDF pattern for a Trip Around the World quilt.  I watched her video first and I liked the sound of her method, so I purchased the pattern and made a start.




I did consider making the quilt larger, or enlarging the size of the squares, but either option would have meant that I would need more than a fat quarter for the 4 consistent colours that run through it.  I wanted to make it all from my stash, so I stuck to the instructions.  




I used scraps of fabrics on many of the rows but if you're going to do that, just be careful to space them evenly when you're sewing the columns together.  I like how my scrappy fabrics are evenly spaced out in the final design. 


 
While I was in the mood I even pieced a quilt back using one of my precious Cotton+Steel fabrics from 2017.   I do love the ski jumpers, but if I haven't got around to using it yet, it's best to put it on the back of a quilt and at least I will get to see it sometimes.  



So now I have a lovely Christmas quilt ready for hand quilting with sparkly threads when the weather gets cooler.  

Finished size is 54" x 62"

2024 is off to a good start.  





3 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your Christmas quilt, so pretty! I was glad to see the gingerbread village in the header, happy stitching!

Celine said...

Beautiful Quilt top

Gemini Jen NZ said...

That's a super xmas-theme quilt - great colour choices! I completed three quilt tops over the xmas-NY break but haven't quilted them yet (was waiting for some variegated thread to arrive, and have now been busy prepping for school to start again) so they will now be a February project. Great photos from Nelson, such a lovely place; am glad you had a lovely time. All the best for 2024.