Thursday 11 November 2021

Pandemic Sampler

My Pandemic Sampler is not going to be finished in 2021 after all. I've only got 4 more pages to go, but each page takes me about two weeks when I'm working on it every night.


Everything was going fine when I last posted about it back in July, but then in August I started having real problems with my right hand.  My middle finger became really swollen, and then the tendon in my palm tightened up.  I couldn't do any hand work for about 10 weeks.  

Fortunately my hand is better now (thanks to 2 steroid injections and a round of prednisone), but I'm taking care of my hands and operating on a strict rotation schedule so I don't do too much of any on thing. 

That means that I've had to let go of my goal of finishing this sampler in 2021.  Given that the Pandemic is still lingering on in our little corner of the world, maybe it's appropriate that my sampler completion date will drag into 2022.  

Here's a pretty rose from my garden to end on a high note.  It's Heart of Gold, and new in my garden this year. 


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below. 





 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Take care of your hands! Your cross stitching is lovely, happy stitching within moderation!

Vicki in MN said...

Indeed take care of your hands first, I know from experience how hard that can be when all we want to do is stitch!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a perfect Rose! I'm sorry you are having trouble with your hands - I have been going through that too and have been getting injections in my thumb every 3 months - the first injection helped, the second one not so much - I'm wondering if I will do it a 3rd time?

PaintedThread said...

Bummer with your hands, especially if you're hankering to finish the project. May they feel better soon!

Genevieve Gerrard said...

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your hand! Take care of yourself and hope you make me swift recovery.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Your hand problem takes me back to when I had carpal tunnel problems 40 years ago. I had surgery on the right hand and swore I would never do the left. 9 months later, there I was begging for surgery. I'm so sorry you are having these problems and admire the way you are adjusting to the restrictions. The Heart of Gold rose is lovely. We have Heart of Gold Cantaloupes in Nevada. Goo luck on your recovery.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Oh, no, and you post so often about your beautiful hand work, you obviously enjoy doing it. I'm so sorry you're having tendon trouble. I feel your pain. I've had to give up a lot of hand work for the same reason. My MD put me on a prescription NSAID and over time that has helped a lot. I take the full dose when the tendon problem flares up, and 1/2 dose when I'm not having a problem, and it has reduced the frequency and duration of flare ups. Good luck!

Rebecca Grace said...

Sorry to hear that your hands are bothering you. That cross stitching you’re working on is just spectacular, and there’s no rush to finishing it even if you’re chomping at the bit to get back to it. Take good care of yourself!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your Sampler is beautiful - yes we quilter, knitters, cross stitcher, computer nerds, all overuse our hands. I am glad that yours are settling down. Even after having Carpal Tunnel surgery 2 times, I still have to wear my braces when they act up!
Take care! Hugs

Marie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the issues with your hand - not something that you expect or want, is it? Glad to hear that they've been able to provide you with relief, but you are wise to build in a rotation so that it isn't overly stressed.

Ratana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.