Friday 19 June 2020

Capital Quilters' Retreat

This weekend I'm going to our guild's retreat.  We're quite a big guild, so we usually have 3 retreats a year - 2 at Silverstream in Upper Hutt, and one at Home of Compassion in Island Bay, Wellington. Different groups of members are regulars at each venue.  I only go to the Home of Compassion retreat which is usually in the middle of winter.  

We arrive on Friday morning and stay for two nights, so I need to take plenty of things to keep me busy for three days.  

The last couple of years I've left my sewing machine at home and only taken hand sewing.  Some people think I'm crazy! But I have so much hand sewing and hand quilting to do, that I can easily keep busy for three days.

This year I'm going to work on:

1. Modified Marshal Mystery Quilt - hand quilting



2. Don't Leaf Me by Wendy Williams - hand applique





3.  Our retreat block.  This year I had the pleasure of choosing our retreat block.  I chose Panama Pyramids by Linda Collins of Quilts in the Barn in Australia.  It doesn't look much like this, but it's going to look great when they're all on the wall at retreat.  


Linda Collins has kindly given me permission to use her pattern.  Linda’s pattern is based on an antique quilt that she owns. I purchased the pattern from Linda’s Etsy shop for NZ $10 here . Linda also sells acrylic templates for Panama Pyramids, so if you love the design and want to make a whole quilt I recommend that you get in touch with her.

It's a hand piecing pattern, but can also be pieced with English Paper Piecing or by machine. 

I've made my blocks, but I made need to help others who want to try hand piecing. 


Of course I've popped in a few extras in case I get bored, but these will be my main focus (when I'm not chatting to others).  


Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post and let us know what you've been up to recently.  




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Not only will you be retreating for yourself, you'll be representing me and all other quilters who couldn't attend their retreats this winter/spring because of covid. I have a friend who always takes handwork along to retreats. Sure is a lot less work than taking a sewing machine. I can't wait to see what all you accomplish, every project you're taking is lovely. Enjoy yourself and I want to hear every detail when you return. Happy stitching!

Cathy said...

I've never been to a retreat but I could definitely keep busy with handwork for three days.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Have a fun and safe retreat Wendy! Hand work is the best thing to take as it is easier to carry and you don't need as much space. Your projects are all lovely and I am so attracted to all your colors. Have a great time.

chrisknits said...

So jealous! Our retreat isn't until September, 3 months to go!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love all your hand work projects - that would be so fun to just bring hand work and have the piece and quite of no machines - I love the felt wool project - I have the Panama Pyramid pattern too and started one last year but it has been sitting aside for some time now - I think I might need to eventually change that one to hand piecing and maybe I would enjoy it more. - I am currently doing EPP on hexie diamonds and applique so sometimes there is more hand work so not enough progress gets done on some

Tami Von Zalez said...

I would love to go on a retreat. I hope to someday find an inexpensive featherweight for retreats and classes.

Susan said...

Saw the full top on Instagram - looks great! Have fun quilting it

FlourishingPalms said...

I love that you went on your quilt retreat without a sewing machine! For such a short time, why burden yourself with that heavy thing? For me, retreats are at least three nights, and sometimes a whole week. Can't imagine being able to do so much quiltmaking without a machine, especially when I'm a machine quilter. But your hand projects are colorful and great! I think it's wonderful that you chose Panama Pyramids for your group project. My friend DarlingDi has been making that quilt with Liberty fabrics, and I believe she's near to finishing it. Such a lovely design. Thanks for always sharing your lovelies, Wendy. By the way, have you switched to the New Blogger yet? What do you think? I can't tell it's different at all, except we must all learn how to use it! The New Blogger didn't fix my problems with being able to comment on Blogger blog posts. I wish we had the old Blogger, like it was in 2009 when I started.

Janice said...

Wish I could attend your retreat. Maybe one day I will visit New Zealand again . I think handwork is a great option. Enjoy your week end!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Love your flowers! Have fun at the retreat ;)

quiltsinthebarn said...

Thanks for the shout out Wendy. Your projects look like super fun nd l look forward to seeing more Quilty blocks made during retreat. Have a great time.