Friday 21 February 2020

Millefiori Quilts 4

I'm so excited! I now have a copy of Millefiori Quilts 4 by Willyne Hammerstein.



Millefiori Quilts 4 is Willyne's latest book for Quiltmania and it contains another 19 amazing quilt patterns.  

My Ballet with Kaffe quilt waiting to be hand quilted

As I've been good and finished the English Paper Piecing on my Ballet with Kaffe quilt from Book 2 (photo above), I rushed out and ordered some templates for two of the quilts in Book 4.  

I chose "Send Flowers to Your Loved Ones" and ordered the hand piecing acrylic templates for it.  Because as I've said before, I really want to move to hand piecing for my next Millefiori quilt.  by the way, I've added a new tab at the top of my blog so you can easily find the links to my YouTube videos on hand piecing.  Or you can click here to get to that page.  

It's great to see that www.paperpieces.com are now making hand piecing templates too.  Here's a link to all the templates and papers they have for Willyne Hammerstein's designs - https://www.paperpieces.com/designers/willyne-hammerstein



My mum (Joy) got hooked on English Paper Piecing shortly after I started my la Passacaglia.  Mum was staying at my house for a few days and couldn't resist making "just one" rosette to see how it all worked.  Well, that quickly grew into an obsession, and mum made a full la Passacaglia quilt too.

My mum, Joy Hill, and her la Passacaglia quilt

my la Passacaglia quilt

Both of our quilts in the New Zealand Quilter magazine in 2016

So, while I was ordering my templates for "Send Flowers to Your Loved Ones" for me, I ordered some paper pieces and acrylic templates for mum too.  I chose "Raindrops are Falling on my Head" for mum - after a bit of consultation via Facetime on our phones. Mum lives 750kms away in Auckland, and she doesn't have a copy of the book yet, but I'm confident that she will like this pattern.



The templates have backing paper on them when they are shipped.  We will peel the backing off before we use them.  They are actually see through so we can fussy cut if we want to.

So, that's something to keep us both busy during the year ahead.

Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to share a recent blog post below.




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love seeing your mother's quilt and yours side by side in the magazine how nice is that!! I believe I saw your mother's quilt on display in Houston a couple years ago

Cathy said...

Oh, what a variety of complex beauties. I might be able to manage to make the Send Flowers one...looks like Snowball/Nine Patch set on point.

Susan said...

Beautiful quilts! I love how your Mom got hooked, and her quilt is lovely!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I admire your ambition for all the hand work you do. They will both be beautiful projects. Enjoy.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Both of your quilts are beautiful! A lot of tiny pieces... ;)

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Oh wow, your mums quilt is gorgeous too. What a thrill it would have been, for your both to have your quilts published together.
I love the new quilt you and your mum are going to make. Both so gorgeous and I look forward to seeing your progress. I've no doubt that it will be a stunner.

Sue said...

So Wendy, are you making this quilt over papers or drawing on the back of your fabric pieces.

Julie said...

I really like the pattern you've picked for your mum. Maybe one day ...

Graciela said...

Thank you very much Wendy for your information, my daughter is already in Argentina so the purchase will be for her next trip here, I would like to know that you prefer to work, acrylic templates like the ones you just bought for your next Millefiori or templates that you make yourself with the rigid plastic sheet, I wish you some happy seams with your mother too, an affectionate hug

audrey said...

Gorgeous work! Such dedication.:)

Marie said...

Obviously you and your mum are kindred spirits when it comes to quilting (and in many other ways, I dare say). Gorgeous quilts. I saw the 'Raindrops' quilt on in a Quiltmania enewsletter and it just about took my breath away. LUV, LUV, LUV. Hope you both have fun with your next sewing adventures!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I cannot believe that she has published four books already. I know I have one of them, and i still have not made time to start any of the projects in it that I love.

Sheila said...

I bought a 'started quilt without the book (4) and am going quietly crazy trying to work it out. Love both your versions
and so good to do that with your Mum.