Wednesday 19 December 2018

Gingerbread Needlework Shop

Great news! I've finished my Gingerbread Needlework Shop before Christmas. It's my latest addition to my Gingerbread Village designed by Thea Dueck of The Victoria Sampler in Canada.





I finished the stitching on Monday night, and spent most of Tuesday assembling the shop.  I knew assembly would take time, but I was surprised that it took about 8 hours to get it all finished.  It was well worth it though to get a beautiful new addition to my Gingerbread Village.

The assembly involved a lot of measuring, pinning and gluing. The walls all need to be symmetrical so the building stands nice and straight.



The pieces need to be laced together with Perle 8 after they have been glued. 


I always like to put my name and the date on the bottom of the buildings.  I've devised a little logo that I repeat each time.


The inside is a bit messy, but you're never going to see it because I sewed my box shut.


I have modified the pattern and made a closed box rather than a storage box.  I didn't want to have to line the interior like we did for the Gingerbread House.


I sewed another panel for the ceiling so the building would retain it's shape when I put it away after Christmas.  I didn't want the walls to warp.


After the ceiling was on, I sewed the roof on. I love the crispness of the white snow on the blue roof.


 And it's finished!  Now it can join the other buildings in my Gingerbread Village on my book case.   That's the Gingerbread Quilt Shop on the right in the photo below, with a couple of Lego mini figures skiing on the roof apparently!


You can read more about my Gingerbread Village on the tab just under my header photo, or you can click here.  That page has links to each of the buildings I've made to date. There are two more in the series that I haven't made yet - The Retreat Cottage and the Flower Shop.  I have the Retreat Cottage pattern already, and the Flower Shop pattern is wrapped up under the Christmas Tree.  I can't wait to start them now!

I need to take a new group photo now including the Needlework Shop.


Merry Christmas everyone.

10 comments:

Katrina said...

Simply gorgeous Wendy, and I just love the blue fabric on the roof. Looks amazing and all that finishing time is just so worth it! Have a very Merry Christmas with your family xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of how you put the shop together! I love your little village.

Jenny said...

WEndy, it is beautiful, and a wonderful addition to your village. Great that you finished it in time for Christmas. Putting it all together seems rather daunting - what a task.

Julie Fukuda said...

What a delightful little village! And... a great idea to keep adding to it.

Manuela said...

A wonderful christmas village.

sam said...

I always love seeing your gingerbread village. Your work is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us and congrats on your finish.

LadySchep said...

Just the cutest! Your entire village is adorable.

Sue said...

That is so amazing Wendy. Your work is so perfect. I was wondering how you store it after Christmas. Your photos are a great display of how you made it!

Farm Quilter said...

Your needlework village is stunning! The work you have put into each piece is obvious and this family heirloom will be much loved for generations! This needs to be appraised and insured, it is fabulous!!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Another beautiful house in your village!! You are so patient and talented. I love the snow on the blue roof (and the Lego skier on the quilt shop!!). You can be proud of this collection that makes up your village. I look forward to seeing the other two as you complete them.