Friday 12 May 2023

Hand Quilted Sampler

My Hand Quilted Sampler quilt has a long and chequered past, but it's finally finished.  


I started this quilt in a class with Kaffe Fassett in Wellington, New Zealand in January 2018.  Yes, five long years ago!!

January 2018 in Wellington


We set out to make the Green Diamonds quilt from Quilts in Ireland, but when I got home and started to piece my diamonds together I found they my cutting hadn't been very precise, and it was going to be difficult to piece the quilt top.  



I don't give up on things easily, so I set it aside for a while.  Then when I was at Tote and Gloat in Palmerston North in 2019 I had a good long chat with Racheldaisy from Australia, and it dawned on me that I didn't have to make Green Diamonds if it wasn't working out.  I could take the pieces that I had cut and repurpose them into something new.  


So that's what I did.  I pulled out all of the red and green fabrics I'd bought for the Green Diamonds quilt and I designed my own pattern.



Then I decided that I could turn it into a hand quilted sampler and use it to show people all of the options that are available with hand quilting.  So I quilted each section with a different thread and a different design.  

quilting along the lines in the fabric


using the lines already drawn in the flower


following the fabric design to fill in the area


1/4" inch from the edge for the triangles


I took this quilt to Stitch Witches in Dunedin and they can display in the shop until I next visit Dunedin in 2024.  

Finished size 47" x 47"

Now it's time for the Peacock Party.  Feel free to link up a recent blog post below.





You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

3 comments:

maggie fellow said...

wonderful way to "save " the quilt and very lovely

Marie said...

Good for you! It's funny how when we start down a path we feel that we have to stick with it, but there's always lots of options throughout the process, and often much more rewarding than what we started out with. As luck would have it, I've got one of those in my sewing room right now!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Wendy, that's a great save on your original project. I like that it shows all of the different ways of hand-quilting a project. Thanks for the linking party.