Friday 15 September 2017

Tropical Hexagons progress

Tennis is my favourite sport to watch on TV.  Each year I try to plan my work so I can watch the US Open in September, and the Australian Open in January.


Both of these tournaments both work well for our time zone here in New Zealand. We are 12 hours ahead of the UK, so it's impossible to watch Wimbledon live, and it's a similar problem for the French Open. (Plus I don't really like clay court tennis - too much sliding about.)

I continued my normal sewing routine for the first few days of the US Open, but as the games became more tense I packed away my sewing machine and got out my hand quilting.  It's so much easier to focus on the tennis when you haven't got the machine running, and aren't jumping up and down to the ironing board.



I could watch all the action from my sewing table while I quietly hand quilted (except for the occasional shouts on critical points).

I'm trying to get my Tropical Hexagons (my name for Mediterranean Hexagons) quilt finished before Kaffe and Brandon come back to New Zealand in January 2018.  I started this in their Mediterranean Hexagons class in January 2016.  You can read my thoughts on that class here if you wish.  I really enjoyed the class and learnt so much from them, and I vowed then that if they ever came back again I would be sure to go.



This time they will be teaching Irish Diamonds from the new book, Quilts in Ireland.  It uses a wide range of fabrics, so I'll be diving into my stash and using lots of treasures that I've been hoarding.  It will be great to see them all combined in a quilt.

However, I really want to finish this Tropical Hexagons quilt before I go to their next class.  I've currently hand quilted 45% of the quilt, so there's still a fair way to go, but I'm making it a goal to finish it before Christmas. Then I can take it to the class and show Kaffe and Brandon.









8 comments:

Susan said...

Your hexagon quilt is absolutely lovely Wendy! Hand quilting and tennis watching look like the perfect way to spend a day, ....or two! Good luck on meeting your deadline!

Julie said...

This is looking just stunning Wendy, I have no doubt you will get it finished before their visit. Have you seen the new KF book? Some lovely quilts in it.

margaret said...

spectacular fingers crossed it is competed in time. Sch a shame Federer lost in the tennis, seems Nadal has found his form again. Here in the UK I did not see any matches as I do not have sky tv

barbaradougherty126 said...

beautiful, absolutely amazing work you do.

Can I ask a very newbie(stupid)question? When you are hand quilting, is the quilt top put all together or do you just quilt the top? I'm sorry, I just don't know, haha. I assume it is all 3 layers put together, but then I see some and they just don't look like it. Please excuse my ignorance. Thank you

Kunzfrau said...

Toll dein Hexaginquilt. Die Farben sind so schön kanllig!

Gruß Marion

Cathy said...

I absolutely love your Hexagon quilt. It is strikingly beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration. Hugs

Bambi Pearson said...

I love, love, love this quilt! I have loved Kaffe Fassett fabric & designs
since I first started quilting. Beautiful work!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Wishing you the best in this quilting endeavor. The colors are so wonderfully bright and I'm sure they will be impressed by this quilt. Always love to see the way you use color in your quilts.