Sunday 28 October 2018

Lady Wigram

I'm thrilled to be able to show this quilt that I've been secretly stitching for the last six months.  I gifted it to my mother in law yesterday, so now I can share it with you all.




My mother in law has always admired everything I make, but she isn't a quilter herself.  When my mother and father in law decided to move into a retirement village, I thought it was time I made them a quilt for their new home.


This pattern is called Bella Ruby and it's designed by Emma Di Stefano who owns Tree House Textiles in Melbourne, Australia. I met Emma at AQC in Melbourne, and she had her Bella Ruby quilt on display.  I loved the design, so I purchased the acrylic templates and started my own version for my mother in law.


People have commented that these aren't my usual fabric choices, and they're not, but I think it's important to make a gift that the recipient will like. My mother in law has always loved the burgundy colour in the William Morris fabric below.  I thought she would like the feed sack prints with all the little flowers in them.


Emma designed the pattern for hand piecing, although it is possible to machine piece it if you don't mind sewing Y seams.  I always planned to hand quilt this quilt, because if a top is hand pieced, it definitely deserves to be hand quilted! I used a combination of Aurifil 12wt and 28wt.  I use 12wt where it shows, and 28wt in the ditches.


I even tried some variegated Aurifil threads this time.



I've called this quilt "Lady Wigram" because my in laws now live in a suburb of Christchurch called Wigram.  Lady Wigram and her husband Sir Henry Francis Wigram, are both important figures in New Zealand's history. They have a strong connection with aviation history, and my husband thinks the 8 pointed stars look like propellers on planes.



I love how it's turned out, but more importantly, I'm thrilled that my mother in law loves it.

Quilt facts:
Pattern - acrylic templates from Tree House Textiles in Melbourne, Australia
Construction - I used the acrylic templates to hand cut the pieces, and then hand pieced them together.
Quilting - hand quilted with Aurifil 12wt and 28wt.
Size - 64" wide x 66" high  (163cm x 168cm)



15 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful quilt Wendy! I love the subtle colours and all your hand quilting makes it very special.

Stillwater Chick said...

Thank you for explaining the journey of the quilt making. Lovely quilt.

Stillwater Chick said...

Thank you for explaining the journey of the quilt making. I think it's a lovely quilt.

Elaine said...

Beautiful Wendy! Congratulations on a stunning finish :)

quiltergirl said...

I am working on a quilt designed by Edyta Sitsr, with y seams. Having a devil of a time, out of my comfort zone. I have one block done and contemplating making a pillow instead of the whole quilt, but my stubborn streaking is pushing me forward. I enjoy your quilts and all the beautiful handwork.

Unknown said...

Just a lovely quilt...and I agree making a quilt for someone ..we have to stretch our abilities to make the best we can in a style and fabric that they will like..congratulations

Barb Neiwert said...

You hand pieced and hand quilted the entire quilt! I'm duly impressed. Such an art form that is quickly becoming lost. And such a beautiful quilt!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Such a beautiful and thoughtful quilt for two special people in your life. I agree the fabric choices should fit the recipient and so sometimes I have to sew with fabric I would not ordinarily choose. However, I am sure the smile on your mother-in-law's face made it all worthwhile. Congratulations on another beautiful quilt.

Farm Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt! Not too many people would be willing to hand piece and hand quilt a quilt these days - I know I wouldn't!! You did an awesome job and it is obvious that your MIL loves it!

charis Anna's mum said...

What a beautiful quilt. I can't believe that you hand pieced and hand quilted it in 6 months! I have recently started trying hand piecing and really enjoyed it but my hand quilting takes forever. Mind you, if I just got on with it and stopped procrastinating, it would get done much quicker! Thank you for sharing.Carole.

Julie said...

Such a beautiful quilt. I love the colours in this. As always your hand quilting is perfection. Destined to be an heirloom piece.

QuiltGranma said...

Beautifully done! Love the hand quilting too. That variegated thread really makes it.

Sue said...

So interesting reading your story behind the making of this quilt Wendy.
Different as you say for you, but its turned out to be a beautiful quilt.
Love the hand piecing AND hand quilting!

Marti said...

That is a beautiful quilt. I hope your mother-in-law knows how much work goes into a hand-stitched quilt! Sounds like she does. I had to laugh though. Leave it to a man to think a star looks like a propeller. lol

Grandma said...

Beautiful, a treasure for your Mother-in-law.