Wednesday 2 August 2017

Capital Quilters 12 x 12 Exhibition - Open NOW

We had the official opening of our 12 x 12 exhibition last night and it was great to see such a variety of mini quilts on display.

There were 12 categories and members could enter as many quilts as they liked.  I entered three quilts and here they are:

1.  Bedazzle

I made a modern interpretation on a whole cloth quilt by hand quilting and embellishing one piece of Kaffe Fassett fabric.  I used some of my embroidery threads and some beads to add bling because the theme was Bedazzle.


I won a Highly Commended ribbon for this quilt and I was thrilled.  There was one winner and one highly commended in each category, so I was very happy.

Here's a better photo taken at home:



2. Flora and Fauna

I used my favourite wool felt applique technique to make a bouquet of flowers.



3. Round the World

I bought some special Frida Kahlo fabric at Bolt of Cloth in Auckland and decided to use it in this mini quilt.  I fussy cut some images of Frida and then worked around them to build it out to 12" square.  This quilt includes machine and hand quilting.



Most of us had been keeping our quilts secret, so it was lovely to see them all revealed and be able to match the quilt with the maker.




The Best of Show award went to Lyn White for her amazing mini called "Light Show at the Museum". Congratulations Lyn.



Here's all the details of the exhibition.  Best news is it's FREE, so if you live in Wellington I recommend you make plans to visit either this weekend or next.


11 comments:

Websterquilt said...

So much fun! Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Jenny M said...

such a variety of ideas! Congratulations on your ribbon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...love the vibrancy of your entries. Wish I was able to see them in person.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

I like them all but especially like Flora and Fauna. Seeing it hanging on the wall it looks like a different quilt. Lovely work on all three. Your group is very talented.

Kiwiquilter said...

Well done on winning a ribbon, exciting!

Kyle said...

I admire your sense of color and creativity. Congratulations on your ribbons.

Sandi said...

Great quilts with some lovely ideas and designs! Love the best in show. Creative use of that Kaffe fabric!

Charlotte Scott said...

Congratulations on a ribbon! I had a chat with Bridget Macfarlane about the exhibition on my podcast, sounds like a huge success for your guild. And I've been enjoying seeing all the photos on instagram and blogs.

Rene' said...

Congratulations Wendy!!! I love all three of your entries!! The whole cloth Kaffe quilt is brilliant!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I love the idea of taking a fabulous piece of fabric and making it more fabulous.
I finally picked up my felt again on the weekend. It was so neglected. You have given me a few more stitch ideas.

OPQuilt said...

I've been waiting for this! So fun to see your 12x12s all together with their colleagues, and a huge congratulations on your commended award. I'm happy you received recognition--all your quilts are terrific, but you have to know that the flowers of felt quilt is my favorite.