Thursday 23 February 2017

The TOWRAGS quilt show

Well, I only got to go to one quilt show after all.  The Stonestead Outdoor Quilt Festival on Sunday had to be cancelled again due to poor weather.  I hope they have better luck next year.


Fortunately the TOWRAGS quilt show at Old St Paul's was wonderful.  Who would have thought that 7 busy women could have made enough quilts to fill a church!!  These ladies have jobs and families, but just squeeze in quilting at every available moment.

Here's some photos I took of the quilts draped over the pews.

please note: This old Anglican church is no longer used as a church - that's why we call it "Old St Paul's", There's a new Anglican cathedral just round the corner with a lively congregation.  Old St Paul's is still be used for weddings and funerals, but it's a historic place now, rather than a sacred church.
 


The church was built from native timber by English settlers in 1865. The stained glass windows are just wonderful.


Here's some of my favourite quilts from the exhibition:





Some of you enquired about the raffle quilt I showed in my last post.  The pattern is by Kathy Doughty if you want to search it out.


13 comments:

Linda H said...

Oh my Goodness!!! SEVEN women made ALL those quilts??!!!! Incredible. What a beautiful show! Each quilt is spectacular! If you could only get to one show, what a wonderful one you chose! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

7 women made all those quilts WOW!! what a display and the church is so pretty - always nice to see old places like that being used for something productive and not shut and locked. Terrific quilts still amazed to have been made by only 7

Kyle said...

What an incredible venue for a quilt show and a spectacular amount of gorgeous quilts to see. The group picture has tickled me everytime I see it!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful collection of quilts by 7 remarkable women. Thank you for sharing so many photos with us - the venue is stunning.

Susan said...

What an incredible achievement! And a beautiful setting to stage a quilt show! Thanks for sharing a little of it with us!

Anonymous said...

Wendy thank you for sharing your wonderful, wonderful pictures of the many spectacular quilts in Old St Pauls! Absolutely tremendous.

Barb said...

Lovely show!
thank you for sharing photos with us. quite a wonderful selection of styles and colors.

Denice Barker said...

Lovely and breath taking and just seven women! Last summer I held a quilt exhibit in our little country church and while I had more participants we did have 105 quilts showing. Three per pew (it's a small church!) but it completely transformed the church and was breathtaking. I'm going to do it again this summer because it was such a hit and people are asking for it!
I loved the picture of your quilt lady friends wrapped in their quilts but I can't talk my group of friends who will be at retreat soon to do this. They're all too shy! Do you think if I stood outside the church draped in a quilt....?

Sandi said...

Lovely show, sorry to hear about the other one not being able to happen.

I'm always amazed at the fabulous record the Outdoor Auilt Show in Sisters Oregon has managed over its forty year history. I think it has only rained once and it was near the end of the show! They are in the high desert and often have temperatures above 100F on show day.

margaret said...

what a wonderful collection of quilts and amazed that they were made by only 7 ladies. A lovely setting to show them off too

anna said...

How Awesome!!

Jenny said...

Wendy, how wonderful! Such a shame I couldn't get there to see it all. Thanks for reporting this great event.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

What beautiful quilts and what a stunning building. I wonder why they decommissioned the church and built a new one when the old one is so lovely.