Friday 20 May 2016

Auckland show and tell

Last week I had to go to Auckland for work.  Yes, contrary to popular belief, I do have a day job. I work for the NZ Institute of Patent Attorneys.  I am the only paid employee, so I do everything from taking the minutes at meetings, to managing the finances, to organising social events and conferences. As a result of that, I get to travel around a bit.

Because my mum and dad live in Auckland, and my eldest son is studying there, I stayed a few extra days to spend time with them.  My mum asked me to do a little show and tell for her quilt guild on the Saturday morning - they're called Howick Quilting Friends and they meet at Howick once a month.  Here's some of the things I took to show them:

 1. Halloween table runner made from The New Hexagon book by Katja Marek.  I used Cotton + Steel Halloween fabrics for this.



2. Sue Spargo Instastitch blocks.  These patterns are available free from Sue Spargo's website. She's releasing one block per month and we've already had 3 months.  They are embellished with hand stitching using perle 8 cottons - preferably Sue Spargo's variegated eleganza threads.






3.  A modern hexies table mat.  You can find step by step instructions on how to do this technique here in this tutorial on Nicole's blog.




4.  Honeycomb spin modern hexie quilt, which I've only just finished. I learnt to do this in a class run by Anna Hicks at Nancy's Stitch Studio.  I'll write a full blog post on it soon (when I've got some good photos).



5. Oh! Christmas Tree quilt top which is finished now, and about to join the hand quilting queue.
The pattern for this quilt is in QuiltMania's Simply Moderne issue 3, or available directly from Wendy William's online shop - Flying Fish Kits. If you're interested in making this quilt you should pop over to my friend Elizabeth's blog because she is running a quilt along and has written very detailed tips and tricks to help you out.



6. My Small World - which they loved.



7. and of course my la passacaglia, which is still just a quilt top, but is next in the hand quilting queue.



It was a whirl wind visit, but everyone enjoyed the show and tell, and insisted I come back next time I'm in Auckland.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I bet they loved your show! you do beautiful work - nice that you were able to get in a visit to your family too

Tawa said...

Marvellous quilts, and a great way for a proud Mum to show off her daughter's talents to her friends. Have agreat weekend, enjoy the wild weather coming your way.

margaret said...

what a wonderful array of quilts you shared with the group can imagine how they marvelled at all your work

Jenny said...

Such a lovely bunch of quilts for Show and Tell. I bet your Mum was so proud of you!!!

Susan said...

Those lucky Aucklanders! What a wonderful show and tell they were treated to! Love the Christmas Tree quilt- I think I need to make one of those....

Linda said...

Your Mum's Howick Quilting Friends must have loved your presentation. Super collection of work. Well done.

Julie said...

So much loveliness for everyone to look at. Love your hand stitching on those Sue Spargo blocks, the colours are a little bit different for you too. Thanks for taking the time to meet up too.

Have a fabulous weekend.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a colourful show and tell! I love the small world quilt too!

Sue said...

I can see why the Howick ladies loved your show and tell. However many times I look at your quilts I never tire of looking at them. I would LOVE to do the Christmas Tree QAL but I have too many projects started, and already I am starting to get anxious over which one to do first!

GranthamLynn said...

Oh what fun. Beautiful display. I loved them all. The hexagon was really neat. And the Christmas tree was beautiful.
Thanks for sharing. I'm following you. Come over and visit!

Sandi said...

Lovely show and tell and how lucky to tie the business, family, quilting together in one trip.

Congrats on finishing your Christmas tree top, it looks lovely.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

You might have the tree quilted by Christmas if you work at your usual rapid pace!
I am booked to attend a WW class in October. I have opted for a cushion.

Mary said...

You have a great color sense. Enjoy seeing your projects.