Saturday 4 July 2015

Spinning Stripes

Two weeks ago I attended a class with a very talented local quilter, Shirley Mooney.  We started with a single length of a stripey fabric, and a 60 degree triangle ruler. Through out the day we turned the fabric into something completely different.  

Siren Song by Michael Miller Fabrics

Shirley encouraged us to take photos on our phones and study how our arrangements looked on a smaller screen.  This was my first attempt:


Then it grew to look like this:


 Then I swapped out 3 of the centres and made all the centres dark, and that looked better:


Someone else in the class had the same fabric, but in pink and purple. She went for a different approach:
 

Another student had something completely different:




We spent the whole day cutting triangles and playing with the layout. Once we were happy with our layouts we pinned them to sheets and took them home to sew up.  The knack is in matching the stripes perfectly, as shown below.


Due to the care and attention needed to get the stripes matching correctly, I only got 2 columns sewn together the next day, and even they aren't 100% perfect, but I'll settle for 97.5% perfect in this case.


The rest is still pinned to the sheet, waiting to be joined up. Because I'd purchased plenty of fabric, I had enough to do 2 different designs, so I've got 2 designs pinned onto my sheet.  It's carefully strewn across my sewing table - I need to be careful that it doesn't accidentally get bundled into the washing machine. Imagine all those pins and triangles floating around in the washing machine.

I'll be certain to post more photos as this progress, but it's the start of our winter school holidays now, and my kids are off for 3 weeks. We've got a couple of trips planned so I don't expect to get a lot of sewing done in July.

Shirley has a blog called Don't Wait to Create, and is on Instagram with the same name. I recommend you take a look.


30 comments:

mogsinc said...

Thanks for your wonderful blog. I went over to your friends blog and it is interesting. I would love to subscribe to her posts. Maybe I'm stupid or something, but I can't see how I can. I find this with quite a few blogs. Can you please help? Di

Marlene said...

WOW this is looking fantastic Wendy. What line of fabric are you using? Love all three examples from class that you showed.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very pretty!!

Gina said...

Great quilts in the making. I can remember doing something sort of similar a few years ago but we made our stripey fabric first and we didn't use a special ruler. It was a nightmare

margaret said...

this is so effective but not sure how complicated, I will have to study some more to see how you join them together, wonder if there are any y seams.
off to check out the other blog now

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I loved seeing this progress on IG, and that print would have been even more perfect for the binding on the placemats I just finished than what I had on hand! :)

Oops-Lah said...

That looks like a fun quilt to make. I love strips anyway and all the different possibilities they offer.

Oops-Lah said...

That looks like a fun quilt to make. I love strips anyway and all the different possibilities they offer.

Wendy said...

That's such a clever technique! I love the layout you chose. It really looks like tge blocks are piled on top of each other, it seems 3 dimensional

Marly said...

Thank you for showing your progress with this quilt, and for showing some of the other peoples' as well. What an amazing technique; I love it. Now I'm going to look at the instructor's blog too.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

That looks like heaps of fun Wendy! School hols have started here also ... I may have to make a dust cover for my machine ...

Heide said...

This is so cool! Love what the plain old strip fabric can turn into! Very clever and looks fun. Thanks for the info.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I love all those stripes.
Once again, scale is playing tricks with my head. I imagined your blue triangles to be much bigger than they are. Regardless of size, they are lovely.

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Another awesome quilt. I'm impressed with the creativity. I've tried something similar but making the stripes and accuracy was an issue. That and the stretching on the bias. I think pinning it to a sheet is an excellent idea. Look forward to seeing more of the construction.

Sandi said...

Lovely fabric selection and wonderful job matching your stripes. Thanks for sharing your design options.

Anonymous said...

I definitely like your colors, and your setting, the best! Great job of matching patterns, too. When I was a teenager, I made a lot of my clothes, and I really enjoyed the challenge of matching plaids up in dresses.

xo Linda

Sue said...

What a fabulous idea Wendy. Great class!Love your fabric Choice. ☺

Melody said...

Absolutely amazing

Susan said...

What a great use for those stripes! Very cool!

Lilpuddin said...

Fantastic post! Can't wait to get some striped fabric & try this!

Anonymous said...

Those designs are really striking although I don't envy you with all those stripes to match up!Amazing!

HeathersSewingRoom said...

That looks like it was a very interesting class. I love just by placing the pieces in different arrangements you get a different look. I hope you have a nice school holiday break.

RachelA said...

This is a such a good idea, and what stunning results!

Carol Q said...

That's fascinating Wendy. It appeals to my sense of OCD and being accurate. Certainly a technique to have a play with.

Unknown said...

Nur Streifen Stoff zu nehmen sieht so toll aus .
Ich werde mir das merken .
Viele Grüße aus Deutschland Karo

NickiJ said...

What beautiful magic!

Sarah Fredette said...

Oh this is going to be such a lovely quilt! Really makes me want to dig out my stripe prints and see what I can create. :D Can't wait to see your final quilt(s)!!!!

Ruth said...

Amazing effect thats generated - they all look really cool. Matching stripes looks really tricky though!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Wow!!!

Staci said...

WOW!!! Every version is just stunning! What a great technique!