Friday 2 June 2017

Finishing takes so long....

Do you find that? You start new quilts with great gusto, and think they won't take long to make, but somehow when you get to the finishing stages you get distracted by new ideas, and the pile of unfinished quilts gets bigger and bigger.


I've accepted that April and May just have to be my finishing months this year.  This year I've entered three different shows!! Yes, from never having entered a show to entering three in one year.  It's just the way it's worked out.

1. Capital Quilters 12 x 12 Exhibiton



We're having a 12 x 12 exhibition at Capital Quilters from 2-12 August this year, and I handed in my three entries on Saturday.  I can't show you them yet because the quilts are being judged and I have to keep my entries secret until then.

If you live in Wellington, or even further afield like Levin or Palmerston North, do come for a look.  It's fee entry and from the few I saw on Saturday there's going to be some great minis on display.  We already had over 30 entries on Saturday and the main hand in day isn't for another month yet.

2. Sydney Quilt Show - Quilt NSW


I'm a member of Quilt NSW in Australia (New South Wales).  It's a huge guild that welcomes overseas members too.  Their annual show will be held at the Sydney Convention Centre from June 22-25 and two of my quilts will be in the show! My la passacaglia and Oh! Christmas Tree will both on display.



I'm very excited because I'm going over to Sydney for the show and it will be the biggest quilt show I've ever been to.  I've made lots of online friends who live in Sydney, and it will be nice to meet them face to face.  I hear the stalls at the show are great too, so I better put my credit card on hold until then. I'll be there on Thursday and Friday if you're looking for me.

3.  Quilt Symposium Christchurch



Our national symposium is in October and entries close on 13 June.  I've been working furiously on two quilts for most of this year.  One is a secret and I won't post any photos until the exhibition in October, but the other is my Possum Magic quilt which everyone has seen throughout it's three year life.  There's one category for quilts totally made by one person (which I'm entering) and then another category for quilts made by more than one person.  Possum Magic will be in the second category because it's a group effort.  You can read more about the round robin I was in here.

My centre block that I made

I'm still hand quilting the final sections of the quilt, but I really hope to have it ready for photographing this coming weekend.  I'm using Aurifil 12wt and 28wt on this quilt.  I use the 12wt for all the visible decorative quilting, and 28wt for when I'm quilting in the ditch. The red spools are 12wt and the grey ones are 28wt.


I'm not aiming for prizes, but just having my quilts hanging in the show would be great.  It's a juried show, so not every quilt gets accepted.

I always use a hoop when I'm hand quilting.

So that's what I've been up to lately.  I'm really looking forward to starting something new once all these deadlines have passed.






17 comments:

Kunzfrau said...

Du zeigt so schöne Quilts. Einer schöner als der andere. Toll, dass du sie auf Ausstellungen zeigen wirst!

Gruß Marion

Julie said...

Starting projects is always more exciting than finishing. Nothing like a little pressure to ensure you do though. I am sure you will have an amazing time in Sydney.

margaret said...

|I think most of suffer from ufos. best of luck at the shows good to know so many people will see your amazing quilts. Have not tried hand quilting with a hoop must look into buying one as I so enjoy hand quilting wonder what size you would advise?

Susan said...

Yes, we all have UFOs! It's just that some have lager ones than others! A deadline will always keep us focused I guess! So starting something new is just reward, don't you think?! Good luck with all your entries! It could be an exciting year!

Susan said...

Ooops! LARGER ones, not lager ones....!

Michele Hill said...

Your quilts are all beautiful Wendy and I look forward to seeing some of them in the flesh in Christchurch.....love the hand quilting progress...such delicious colours! Sadly I can't be at the Sydney show but good luck! Hugs from across the ditch x

Allison said...

Magnificent- especially the la passacaglia one. One day maybe I'll attempt something like that! Congrats on all the shows!

Kyle said...

Each quilt is incredible. The colors are bright and bold and the quilting adds some great texture. They'll be enjoyed by so many in each of the different shows. Congratulations!

Turid said...

You have some beautiful quilts here. Sad I can't come to see them. Good luck in the show!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

If that Passacaglia doesn't win something then the judges will need their heads read!! It's phenomenal. I look forward to seeing your 'secret' entry at the NZ symposium - it'll be my first attendance so I haven't entered anything, am just looking forward to doing some classes while I'm there.

Havplenty said...

That la passacaglia is a beauty to behold. Marvelous. Hopefully it will ribbon in the the upcoming quilt show. This new one you are working one,,,, love all of the color and elements involved. Keep inspiring us with your creations.

Schulz Family said...

Wow. I intended to enter hoffman this year and still have not done it!! Well done you for getting three completed

Wendy said...

good for you for entering and best of luck! La Passaguila has got to win a ribbon, it's stunning. In answer to the question "why does finishing take so long?", It's because you hand quilt!

Jenny said...

Wow - good on you for entering your quilts to these different shows. Best of luck, and it will be such a thrill to see your quilts hanging up amongst all the others. Specially overseas, at the Sydney show. And then hopefully meeting up with other online friends in the flesh.

Rachaeldaisy said...

All of your quilts are so beautiful!! I'm looking forward to seeing some in Sydney. Get ready for a meet and greet whirlwind, it'll be as though IG has come to life.

Charlotte Scott said...

Have the best time in Sydney! That will be so awesome. I'm sure I'll be seeing your quilts at symposium in October - looking forward to it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All of your quilts are so beautiful - so nice of you to share them with the world. I haven't entered any shows but mine aren't nearly as nice as yours.