30 June has been and gone, so it's time to check how I went against my quilting priorities set at the start of the year. The original list is here, but I promise to work through it without omitting anything.
1. Mediterranean Hexagons. This is a quilt I started at the workshop with Kaffe and Brandon at the end of January. It's progressing well and the top should definitely be finished before the end of 2016. I just purchased the backing for it the other day. I was tempting to use Kaffe on the back too, but decided to use black instead, and let the front do all the talking.
2. la passacaglia. I'm on the home straight. The hand quilting is almost finished, and I have the fabric for the binding. I really need to get it finished it within the next 4 weeks, because Quiltmania magazine are holding a la passacaglia exhibition at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. They will be showing 20 la passacaglia quilts and I hope mine might be one of them. I've already entered, but if it is accepted, I need to send it to USA about 18 August. So I'll be doing lots of hand quilting at our retreat this weekend.
3. My Small World. I finished it! I dedicated a couple of weeks in January to making this quilt, and it was finished in February. It's now hanging in the hall and I love it.
4. Possum Magic quilt. I've started the hand quilting with Aurifil 12wt, and it's looking lovely, but I put it aside to hand quilt la passacaglia first.
5. Women of the Bible quilt. No action - it's still sitting on the spare bed, probably because I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. (whoever it was that wanted the pattern - please email directly, or include your email address in a comment.)
6. Spinning Stripes v2. I finished this one too. It now sits nicely with my first one. I'm not sure where I'll display them yet.
7. Oh! Christmas Tree. I've finished the top, and have the backing. I want to hand quilt this one too, but will finish la passacaglia first.
8. Smitten. I still haven't started this. I'm tempted to make it with Tula Pink Elizabeth fabrics, but i don't want to be the same as everyone else.
9. Trip around the World. I'm sort of going off this idea. I still like the photo in the book, but I have other things I want to make first.
10. Glitter. I'm still just admiring other people's version of this quilt.
11. Ballet avec Kaffe Fassett. This one may well be jumping up the list. A few members of the Millefiori / la passacaglia facebook group are making this quilt and I love how it looks. I bought a bag with this quilt on it. That counts as a small start.
12. Stack of Colour. I finished this one too!
13. Felt quilt. I haven't started this yet, but I do still think about it a lot.
So, that's all 13 items that were on my list on 1 January. I've finished 3 of them, but also made some other things along the way. Here they are:
14. Honeycomb Spin. Finished. This was a class in April 2016 with Anna Hicks, and uses the Modern Hexies technique of gluing the hexagons onto the background.
15. Table mat. And a small table mat made with the left over hexagons.
16. Happy Villages. I made a small start on testing out this pattern. I haven't quilted it yet, but I do want to finish this piece before I try again.
17. I've also made a yellow mini quilt for the Aotearoa Quilters challenge. After seeing the green quilts in Auckland last year (click here to see them), I vowed to enter a quilt next time, whatever colour was chosen. My yellow mini isn't stunning, but it's a small start. I might even make another one yet before the challenge closes on 1 September. I'll post a photo after that date.
a late addition
18. How could I forget my Sue Spargo blocks from #instastitchwithSue on Instagram. I'm enjoying making these free patterns each month and embellishing them with hand embroidery.
How are you going against your quilting goals for 2016?