The pattern is Mediterranean Hexagons from the Quilts in Morocco book, but I'm going to call mine Tropical Hexagons because my colours are hot, rather than the blues and greens of the Mediterranean.
Although this quilt looks simple in the book due to the large hexagons, there's a lot of work required to ensure that the star points are balanced through out the quilt.
You need some variety in you star points, but you don't want to use the same fabric for adjoining stars. So you need at least 6 different fabrics for star points. I used these fabrics:
When it comes to assembly you need to be working rows ahead at all times. I decided that the easiest way was to lay it all out on the kitchen floor. It's way too big for a design wall.
I would pick up one piece and sew the relevant star points, and then put it back in position. It's the only way to keep the pattern correct and not get the star points jumbled up.
Eventually I got 4 rows together:
Each time I had to clear the kitchen floor I would stack the rows up in the correct order so I could lay them out again the next day.
I'm still not finished, but on Sunday I had 8 rows together. That means there's just 3 rows left to go now. We have a long weekend this weekend for Queen's Birthday, so hopefully I'll get the hexagons all sewn together this weekend. Then I have to think about borders.
I love the colours in the fabrics in this quilt. I'm so glad I stepped away from blue and green and tried something different, and I'm so glad I got to attend the Kaffe course. I really enjoyed watching Brandon and Kaffe take their time, and mull over the fabrics in each quilt. I now know that they refuse to be rushed, and keep trying different fabrics until they are really happy with their choices. That's the approach I like to adopt too.