Monday 29 December 2014

I'm making a second list for quilting

Well Christmas has been and gone, and New Year is just around the corner. We're going to Auckland for a holiday on Tuesday. I've got a couple of blog posts lined up for while I'm away and I'll still be posting on Instagram (@wendysquiltsandmore).  Before I go though, I thought I should share my quilting list for 2015.




I was in two minds about sharing my list of embroidery projects for 2015 on my blog, but I'm glad I did because it's already helping me to keep on track. It's here in case you missed my 13+ embroidery projects for 2015.

I have written lists like that before, but I've never made them public. Surprisingly, I feel a lot better now I've made the list public. I now have a priority list, and when work has to halt on one project for some reason, I know what's next in line, and I don't waste time dithering about what to do next. I know you people will keep me on track if I stray!

So, in the interests of full disclosure, I need to make a quilting list too. In some ways this is a warm up for the Finish along with Adrienne, which Adrienne of On The Windy Side is hosting in 2015.  I'd like to take part in the Finish Along, so I'll need to commit to finishing certain things each quarter.

Here's a list of the quilts I plan to work on in 2015:

1. Your Place or Mine? BOM. Yes, it's still top of the list.

I've sewn on three corners and the only thing holding me up now is the hand applique on the final panel. I've located the striped strips for a skinny border (which I thought I might have lost or used in another quilt), and have the final border and backing fabric. There's no excuse not to get the quilt top finished by 31 January. I'm still not sure how it's going to be quilted - by hand by me, or long arm by someone else.



2.  Halloween mini.  This is near the top of the list because it missed Halloween 2014, but will be ready in tonnes of time for Halloween 2015. I'm going to hand quilt this one.




3. Kaffe Christmas tree. This will not be ready for Christmas 2014 but I don't mind. I couldn't get the fabric I wanted to use on the back locally. However, I have found some in Auckland, so I will collect that while we are up there on holiday and this table runner will be ready well before Christmas 2015.




I think I'll do a mix of machine and hand quilting on this one. I want to use some of this lovely Perle 8 which matches so perfectly.




4. Mini Medallion. I decided on the backing for this yesterday, and just need to get more batting now. I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt this yet, but I want to add a hanging sleeve so I can hang it in the hallway. It's about the same size as the Trellis Crossroads I made earlier in the year, so they can take turns hanging in the hall.




5. La Passacaglia. Once I finish those four quilts in the first quarter of 2015, I think I deserve to work on something new. I've got the book, templates and paper pieces for La Passacaglia and I've seen some beautiful examples that other people have made, so I'm eager to try my own version. This will be my major project of 2015 because I want to take my time with it and make it the best it can be. I'm not going to rush my fabric selections. If I have to remake a cog because it doesn't work, so be it.





6.  Below is a quilt top that's been waiting to be hand quilting for over a year now. You may recognise the fabrics. I got so carried away with finding the perfect fabrics for my Bordered Peacocks quilt that I had a few left overs. Yes, enough left overs to make another quilt!  I turned the scraps into 2.5" strips and made this Jelly Roll pattern called Stacks of Colour.

I love the dark rich colours in this quilt, and it really deserves to be finished in 2015.



Here's Bordered Peacocks again in case you missed it back in August:



7. Possum Magic. I'm still really enjoying this round robin, and especially the friendships I've made through it. I still have 3 more quilts to work on, and then I'll get my own back in about July. You can see the progress on each of the quilts in my Possum Magic tab just under my blog header.

Carla's quilt that I've just finished working on

8. Women of the Bible. These patterns will continue to be released at the rate of 2 blocks per fortnight. I'm using mainly Denyse Schmidt fabrics from Spotlight for this, but will mix in other blues and pinks where necessary.  I like the fact that the blocks aren't all the same size. I wa going to make the Moda Modern Building Blocks, but I'm doing this instead. When everyone else was spending up big on Cyber Monday, I cancelled my order for the Modern Building Blocks because I decided that I didn't need it after all.



9. At last, I get to add some new ideas for 2015. First up is this great design by my favourite designer, Wendy Williams of Material Obsession. If I start this early enough in 2015 it should be ready for Christmas. I've got tonnes of felt here already, so just need some background fabric really. I think I'll use Kaffe Fassett fabrics for the stars because they brighten up anything. (I've got a bit of that here too.)




10. I'd like to try a folded star in 2015. I've had an image on my iPad for two years now and I've got a pattern. I just need to choose some fabrics and make it happen. I guess my holdup is that I don't have many solids, and the one I saw looked so effective because the centre was solids. I love the hand quilting around the edge too.

I can't attribute this image because I can't remember where I got it from sorry, but it is stunning and very me!

Not mine - but something I would like to make.

So I'm going into 2015 with a number of exciting projects to work on, but also some space to add new and interesting things that pop up along the way. I can't wait for another year of quilting. I hope you've got some exciting plans too. If you do, please feel free to leave a comment below and tell me what you'll be working on in 2015. If you've already written a list you can provide a link to your blog and we'll all come and have a look. 

12 comments:

Julie said...

Wow - you have a great list, I especially like nos. 9 & 10. Good luck with getting them finished and started, and hopefully nothing else comes along to tempt you .....
Safe travel to Auckland and Happy New year.

Carol Q said...

mind blowing Wendy and gorgeous eye candy.

Mary Jane Robiony-Rogers said...

I too love numbers nine and ten, Wendy. Such beautiful combinations of colour and gorgeous designs. I think you are courageous publishing a to do list. Have a super time with your lovely Mum.

margaret said...

I wonder are you going to eat, sleep, clean or shop in 2015, you certainly have some real beauties to work on here both in quilting and embroidery, best of luck. I too opted out of the moda building blocks, thinking of getting a list together of what i want to achieve in 2015 but it will not be as long as yours! Have a good trip to Auckland and do not be too tempted with more projects!! Love the quilt you are about to quilt made from the left overs

Granny Maud's Girl said...

What a list! I too have started a list for 2015 - on a whiteboard, which I have already filled with scribbled notes, and I am not sure the list is yet complete. That list is separate from and in addition to my cupboard of shame list (the forgotten projects), which I posted on my blog. Eeek!
I made a folded star forever ago and used a loud print in it and solids that pick out the colours of the print. It became a tea cosy for my gran, which she never used in case it gets dirty. It has hung on her kitchen wall since the day I gave it to her.

Liz said...

This is a great list - you've got a fun year of quilting ahead of you!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I look forward to watching you work through these projects in 2015, Wendy. Happy New Year, and thanks for linking up! :)

LA Paylor said...

such a terrific list, and you're right about having a list. The dithering can stop you in your tracks!
LeeAnna at Not afraid of color

Emily said...

i really like your peacock quilts. gorgeous colors. can't wait to see them finished :)

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I love the colors you use. Your work is so fun to look at! I tried to set myself a list in priority order and it's really hard for me to stick to it. I'm at least keeping myself working on WIPs instead of starting new stuff. (That said, I'm gonna cut fabric for a new project next, but I consider it a WIP since I've had the fabric/pattern for almost a year.)

Unknown said...

Wow that is a great list. It's lovely to see everyone's chosen patterns. I did buy the Moda building block pattern card I found it more affordable. I might do a 2 or 3 Colour version. I love your peacock quilt my fave colours!! Great work

marina said...

so many beautiful projects on your list. Love your christmas tree and the material obsession design is gorgeous I can see why it is a must do.
Your peacock quilt is stunning.
good luck with your projects.