Wednesday 17 September 2014

Mini Medallion Quiltalong - part 4

I spent most of Saturday adding the latest border to the Mini Medallion Quiltalong published by Clover and Violet. This is how mine looks now.

Mini Medallion Quiltalong

The third border was Snowballs, which I hadn't made before. Although my border looks fine from a distance, when I get up close I can see that some of the patterned fabrics aren't lying totally straight. I"m not going to go back and change it, but I will just remember not to use directional fabrics for snowballs again.

I had two aims when I joined this quiltalong:
1. to learn some new techniques which would help with selected borders for the Possum Magic round robin
2. to use the fat quarters I had won earlier in the year.



Well I can't say that I've really used much of the fat quarters I won, but I have used plenty of the fabrics I bought to complement them.




There are two more borders to go, and I still intend to use those fat quarters I won. I'll have to because I'm running out of the other fabrics I purchased.

An unexpected bonus of this quiltalong is that I've met some new quilters online, and I'm now following their progress on the quiltalong too. Here's a snapshot of some other people's progress:




15 comments:

seabreezequilts said...

Looks like fun and all the quilts are so different.

Unknown said...

Hi Wendy, are you able to name the fabric with the girl in the tree and the bee & jar ones? Love them and your quilt. Rae

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Yes certainly - they are both by Michael Miller and are part of the Wee Wander range. https://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-children-39-s-cotton-fabrics-michael-miller-wee-wander.aspx
They come in pink too. I hope that helps.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

Look great Wendy! I chuckled when you said that you used hardly any of the original fabric ... I do that all the time :)

Unknown said...

The colors of the quilts make them look so different, you have a great eye for mixing or matching. Looking forwards to the next update

Marijke said...

Great quilt love your colour choise!
groetjes van Marijke

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, don't completely rule out directional prints - they make the snowballs looks a lot more pieced and complicated from a bit of a distance which is a really nice effect, I think!

margaret said...

this is looking great Wendy, the snowballs look good to me, I try and avoid strips as have problems keeping straight and as for gingham would not dare use it!

Wendy said...

It looks great! I can't see any wonkiness in the snowballs, are you just looking at it too closely?

HeathersSewingRoom said...

Some great fabric choices as the quilt is looking fabulous.

Anonymous said...

The colours you chose are really captivating, by far my favourite version of this pattern yet =)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Your mini medallion is looking great. I've not made snowballs but I'll remember the tip about avoiding directional prints.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful work and that sounds like a fun quiltalong!

Ruth said...

Looks lovely so far! Lovely fabric to win - really like the little girl too.

Sue Wild said...

Fabulous mix of fabrics, lovely quilt top. Visiting from Lily's quilts